Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicago90

Beware of mail order scam - House of Wesley

chicago90
17 years ago

There is a mail order nursery company based in Bloomington, IL that operates under 8 names - house of wesley, burgess seed, honeycreek nurseries, etc.

This company advertises beautiful plants and ships out dead ones. This scam is so unbelievable that the "customer service" department is in on it.

If anyone has any information to help me either get my money back or speak with an insider, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have contacted the BBB of central IL, the attorney general's office of IL and the FTC.

It is very disturbing when innocent gardeners are being ripped off.

Comments (36)

• buford
    17 years ago

I've ordered from them, and while it's not top quality stuff, everything was alive when I received it.

• daviesfj
    13 years ago

BEWARE, DO NOT ORDER FROM HOUSE OF WESLEY. THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM.
    90% of what they send you will die, they will not give you a refund, only a replacement which will also die. I have a small claims judgment against them but they still refuse to refund my money. Legal action, BBB and the rest does not bother this company, they are skirting the law and they know it. This is not an honest or ethical company, and they are a disgrace to the gardening community. TELL YOUR FAMILY & FRIENDS TO BEWARE ALSO.

• virginialily
    13 years ago

I looked up honeycreek nurseries on Daves Garden , Products and Sources they have something called the Watch Dog and you can lookup thousands of companies before you do business, also you can post your comments so other people won't fall victim. The company your talking about has a ton of complaints.

• ryker-lakes
    13 years ago

I placed an order a few days ago. I needed small cheap trees and there is no other place that offers small and cheap. I will pot them up for a year or so before filling in the large area come fall. Even if 50% die it's still cheaper.

I was selective and only ordered items.

• Cakley_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Near 8weeks and still no delivery.

• KatyaKatya
    13 years ago

I no longer order from them since an almond tree I bought grew into a no-name peach and a "Chinese chestnut" grew into a Lithocarpus which is cute but inedible.

• mbrockett55_comcast_net
    12 years ago

My order arrived after it spent 8 days in the US mail. Shipped in plastic bags. Moldy, almost dead upon arrival. Planted with crossed fingers. Called today for replacement product because they are now dead. They will not offer replacement or refund. Filed complaint with BBB. Upon arrival of the product I wrote "DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY AGAIN" on the copy of my order. If only I researched them beforehand.

• Meredith Rogers Hamelin
    9 years ago

Arborday.org sells small cheap trees.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Have you talked to your postmaster?

Better yet call your credit card co. Most will help you.

• Tim Givemeenergy
    8 years ago

Use a credit Card if you use them so you can dispute the charges! I have 2 each five on one grafted pear and apple trees i bought from them that are great 5 years in fruiting nicely...goji berries, strawberries and ornamental all dead dried completely when arrived....

• jolj
    8 years ago

Do not remember the name of the Nursery, but I had 25 mail order catalog & 3 of the catalogs

had the same price, pic's & print, but different names & addresses in the same state.

• rewnnc
    8 years ago

On one website you have 420 Negative reviews only 156 positive 50 neutrals. That is BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. I did as was told by waiting and planting only to have them ALL DIE. My MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN !!!! The 2 4.99 were used on new orders for things that arrived CRUSHED. The other plants just DIED after I planted as told. There is something you can do, supply LIVE plants in GOOD condition. The original plants did not appear alive when I received them, but I did as told and waited then the replacements arrived in poor/dead condition and again as i was told planted, now you tell me "We are sorry for the inconvenience. " Not inconvenience it was/is a waste of MY MONEY, so yes you could at least send me LIVE plants in GOOD condition, but you just DO NOT want to. ALMOST $200.00 GONE.

• donna_domitrovich
    7 years ago

This company is a scam. I ordered their mosquito plants 3 out of 4 were dead. The box they came in did not have their address on it so. I did not know what the plants were, there was no invoice in the box or anything stating what the plants were. I called and was told I had to send a copy of mt check to them I sent the copy along with a copy of my order form and all they want now is the label from the box to prove purchase. When I sent the cancelled check does that not prove purchase? This company is a rip off. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. They are a scam.

• apprenticegardener
    7 years ago

It continues to surprise me that folks will not do research on businesses and/or will be attracted to the "cheapest" products available. Someone previously mentioned Dave's Garden. It's a good source of info on the experiences of folks like us who frequently have to order through the mail for that "special" item. Even with this information in hand though, not everyone is going to receive exactly what they are expecting. That's the nature of Nature.

• Randa Wilson
    6 years ago

I also placed an order with the House of Wesley and have not received my plants. It was almost two months ago. I sent an email enquiring on the order and customer service said they were real busy so I have waited another month and sent an email this morning to just give me my money back. However, after reading these reviews looks like I wont be getting that either, UGH!!!

• rewnnc
    6 years ago

Direct Gardening also under HoW, bad plants bad customer service.

• Andrea ME z5b
    6 years ago

I've ordered trees from Musser Forests, it's been a few years but their plant material was great and so are their prices, also they have a great selection of natives

• rewnnc
    6 years ago

Direct Gardening: I have complained to the numerous times about poor shipping conditions. I gave them another chance this spring and again plants were shipped in large red plastic bag. The bareroot plants were shipped without and root protection or moisture wrap, thus they arrived dead. Other plants shipped in soil appeared to have been dumped into bags. I emailed them about condition of plants and they just plant them since spring plant and wait for growth. With this warm weather they should growth on them. They better refund or ship plants in better condition.

• reneem369
    5 years ago
    I placed an order from this company it took over a month for my items to come . Every plant was dead.
    what a waste of money. Never will I order from them again.
  • HU-728174442
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have had a problem with dead plants from Burgess also. I have placed several orders with 4 Seasons with no problem. (I usually order after the season rush). Also placed orders with Spring Hill Nsy. with no problem (but again it was after the season rush). I never plan on using Burgess again!.

• HU-612711208
    4 years ago

TTry

• PATSY mCl
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I thought it was odd, the way so many of these purportedly different "nurseries" offered the same plants at the same prices--but such bargain prices! Except, as noted above, how many of the plants were DOA. Of those that weren't dead already, many died soon, and the survivors were so tiny--I didn't know nursery pots came so small--that it'll be years before they amount to anything, if they live that long. Also, notable how many arrived either rootbound, as if they'd been ignored for way too long, or else strangled by the little hairnet-like containers that so many plants are started in and that roots are supposed to grow through, but too often don't. Embarrassing to admit I ordered from them more than once.

• Ray Plazek
    4 years ago

They lied about my order. They shipped dead plants that they claimed were JUST DORMANT. They refused to replace my full order (nothing lived!). They replaced only part of it. They claimed that it was OK to plant after the first frost in Ohio. All of the replacement plants died too! They promised IN WRITING to honor the same guarantee as the original order for a period of one year. Eight months later, they disavowed their original stated policy. Now, I have NO LIVING PLANTS. I am out $450.00. They do NOT have a customer service phone number that anyone will answer. They only deal with you via email and they just keep restating their same claim even when presented with the evidence of what they actually told me in writing the year prior. They claim that their customer service director named GRACE AVERY (if she is really even a person) does not accept phone calls. She only deals with people via US mail. I sent my same complaint to her via US mail six weeks ago. She must really be busy because she cannot find time to place a phone call, a text, or an email to me to even acknowledge my complaint! DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE RIP-OFF ARTISTS! They have a GREAT website with lots of color pictures, but you do NOT get what you are shown.

• harold100
    4 years ago

This is why I only buy from Springhill or Brecks. Great products and they back their warranty.

• jeff n
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

guys, if you read the site, they ship when the plant is ready to be planted in YOUR zone according to your zip code. they do ship bare root in plastic bag -- that's how it works. they do not ship potted plants for obvious reasons. and they have a warranty. i got a bunch of butterfly plants and tomatoes as gifts-- no real notice, identifier, and not at the same time. all were good prices, all came up.

• HU-213539519
    3 years ago

Honeycreek nurseries just took me for over $100.00. The plants came in plastic bags and they were slimy. A lot of the things I ordered were replacements and no explanations just what I ordered was out of stock. I tried to get my money back but i do not not have the packages they came in. i hate these places,they send beautiful books to get orders and then they scam.. I will report them and get my Credit Card Co. to intervene. Do not buy from this nurser.y.

• Evelyn Harrison
    3 years ago

Good luck getting your money back - I had similar issues with these hoodlums and without the nursery approving the credit and you paying to return the items, they will not refund your money! The whole thing stinks to high heaven. Best to buy through a Lowe's or Home Depot. At least you can return them to the store and get a refund. I just bought some hydrangea that shipped from SC and 4 of the 9 arrived sick and died. Took them back to Lowe's and I got my refund without any trouble.

• Mark Metcalf
    3 years ago

I’ve ordered shrubs, lavender and fruit trees from Farmer’s in Bloomington,Il. And have never lost a plant. These come as bare root trees. It’s best to pot them for a year or two. Granted, they will take longer than a tree you will get at Lowes but, you’re root system will be a lot stronger than one from Lowes or Home Depot. Make sure after you pot them - you either dig them in for the winter or put material around the base so the roots won’t freeze. ... you should be good to go.

• HU-894998531
    2 years ago

I have been ordering from Burgess for years and have never had any issues what so ever!

• HU-894998531
    2 years ago

This guy's comment was 15 years ago! Seriously?

• joe LeGrand
    2 years ago

This thread has saved us a lot of money.

BUT I want to brag on , Little Honey Oakleaf Hydrangea Bush - Bright Gold Foliage - 4" Pot

MSRP: $17.99

$9.99

(You save $8.00 )

The plant came in in good form, multiple limbs, new growth & what plant they sold me.

$9.00 a lot of money, but I found the same plant in 4 in pot for &28.00 & that was the cheaper price. One gallon for for $54.00. Anyway this was the first order, but not the last & I have this plant now, two cheaper than one at other place. It was on sale.

https://hirts.com/little-honey-oakleaf-hydrangea-bush-bright-gold-foliage-4-pot/

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    2 years ago

Oh i wish i had read this thread (and bunch of other similar ones ) yesterday. But too late i ordered a few plants from burgess yesterday already. A white lilac, a tree peony (bare toot) and an angel trumpet. Now i can only pray i will get them. they already told me the tree peony has been back ordered.

• Victoria Wilson
    last year

I have been ordering plants from direct gardening for almost twenty years. The plants, trees, roses, ect arrive dormant and look dead but they are not. I never had any issues growing them, and hardly any died after being planted. So many beautiful roses. I trust them and they have great prices if you are trying to grow a hedge row quickly without the high cost.

• HU-605161381
    6 days ago

I’ve been ordering from DG for decades and love their prices and every plant bloomed beautifully. Once I lost 25 roses to fungus from too much rain and they replaced them all without any issues. I’m so dissapointed they’re out of business. Anyone know of other gardening sites with comparable prices?

• jolj1
    6 days ago

I have ordered from Classic Groundcover in Ga. they have good plant & the more you order the lower the cost. Great for back yard nurseries. Have used this Nurseries for many years.