Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heuchera hybrid 'strawberry swirls' dried up leaves

Posted by robsol1980 7 atlanta (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 05 at 18:29

Over the weekend I put in a new perenial bed and planted some Heuchera (coral bells). I have never used any of these before in my gardening but they seem to be fairly popular in all of my gardening books. The research I have done says that they prefer well drained soils and part sun. My garden gets direct sun from about 1pm-6pm. Of course this week here in Georgia has been an absolute scorcher and most of the leaves have turned brown and crispy. Anyone with experience raising Heuchera? Is this due to new planting and the terrible hot weather or is this too much sun period. Should I move them to a new location or may they recover where they are?

Thanks Rob in Atlanta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heuchera hybrid 'strawberry swirls' dried up leaves

That's some pretty nasty direct afternoon sun. Some of my heucheras will tolerate some sun, but none like a lot of direct sun. Treat them like ferns or hostas. Keep them moist and they may recover in the fall. Heucheras are also very tough.

o

Too much sun. Some of my heucheras get sun from 11 til 1, and that's almost too much for them. They have shade and filtered light the rest of the day. The ones that do best for me are planted at the edge of a woodland garden where they get filtered light all day long - in other words they get lots of light, but they are never in direct sun. I'd try cutting off the crisp leaves and moving them to more shade. They probably won't look too good the rest of this summer, but should come back ok next year or over the winter.

o

Thanks all. This weekend I made a new bed and moved them into more shade. they get some morning sun until about 1 then are in bright light but no sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here