Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are some good fruit trees for Northern GA?

Posted by lCoulter GA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 19:29

I live in Atlanta and finally got a yard! :) Does anyone know what are some good fruit trees for the area? I have heard that despite all the street names, peaches do not do too well...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are some good fruit trees for Northern GA?

I live near Tupelo MS which is similar climate to Atlanta. My understanding is that peaches get alot of diseases and must be on a regular spray program. I garden organically so do not do peaches. Figs are easy, I have Brown Turkey but I hear Celeste is better. I have several neighbors with apple and pear trees but I don't know the variety. The neighbor across the street gets plenty apples. I have Freedom and Liberty apples in espalier form but they are too young to bear yet. I researched these for my zone, disease resistance, and cross pollination. I think Gala is a good apple variety. If I had room I would try some cherry or plum. Don't forget blueberries they are not trees but beautiful shrubs and fairly easy. Your best bet is likely to contact your local university extension service, perhaps Georgia State or UGA. They will typically have stuff to mail you or a great database online.

o

My Brother-in-Law (Atlanta) and my Father-in_Law (Rockdale County) both grew figs successfully. With our unpredictable winters you risk having them killed back by ice storms. It happened to my in-laws a few times over the years, but they would just cut them back and wait for the next season. I agree the best source for info. is the Extension Department at the University of Georgia. Also, you can check info. on Walter Reeves web site - www.walterreeves.com

Here is a link that might be useful: UGA - Seach Publications

o

Grapes? Muscadine and Scuppernoggs do awesome here. We are about 1 hour north of Jax Fl. In 8b. Apples and maybe pecans. I know they aren't a fruit, but once you've eaten a fresh pecan, store bought ones taste like crap!

o

some good information at the link below for fruits that do well in the south. the group works to establish wildlife-attracting plantings but their details also include information about the flavors, disease resistance, uses, etc. for many varieties of apples, crabapples, pear and plum.

Here is a link that might be useful: wildlife group

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here