Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovehim_gw

? on crape myrtle variety

lovehim
19 years ago

I'D NOTICE THIS BEAUTIFUL CRAPE MYRTLE WHILE PASSING SOMEONE HOUSE. UNFORTUNATELY, THEY DIDN'T KNOW THE COLOR NOR DID THEY OFFER ME A CUTTING(SO SAD). I NEVER SEEN THIS PARTICULAR COLOR BEFORE AND I CAN ONLY DESCRIBED IT AS BEING A DEEP WINE COLOR. IT WAS OVER 10 FT TALL. I'VE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THE COLOR! COULD ANYONE HELP ME TO VERIFY THIS VARIETY?

Comments (16)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    19 years ago

Did you ask for a cutting? Either way, it needs to be soft wood, no bark beginning to form on the branch. Kind of late in the year for that.

• lovehim
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I KNOW JUNE, JULY, AND AUGUST ARE EXCELLENT TIMES TO ROOT SEMI-HARDWOOD CUTTING. AFTER NUMEROUS COMPLIMENTS ON THE CRAPE MYRTLE, I THOUGHT THAT WOULD GET ME A CUTTING. BUT, I UNDERSTAND SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE TAKING FROM THE TREE WILL CHANGE THE APPERARANCE. ANYWAYS, I'LL KEEP SEARCHING. I MAY HAVE TO PUT ON MY BLACK CAT SUIT AND BECOME A NIGHT-SNATCHER ;)

• johnpoole
    19 years ago

parkseed.com has that varity in their i think it is the same shade of one of mine, some people never think of offering a cutting, if i know someone wants a start of something i offer to pot them a start. i think that's a southern thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Park Seed

• poiu
    19 years ago

Search the Clemson University crepe myrtle page by flower color and view the pics.

When you say "deep wine" I"m nervous--since the color I imagine could likely be something you would rather describe as dark red!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of wide range of Crepes

• lovehim
    Original Author
    19 years ago

THANK YOU FOR THAT WONDERFUL WEB SITE. I WAS ABLE TO NARROW IT DOWN TO THE "DYNAMITE" RED. NOW, ALL I HAVE TO DO IS GO AND FIND IT. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO.

• jodonne
    19 years ago

They are nice!! I just bought 2 of them!!

Here is a link that might be useful: DYNAMITE

• browneyedsusan_gw
    19 years ago

Forest Farm nursery (http://forestfarm.com/)sells "Dynamite". Their plants are of good quality and are moderately priced.

Susan

• lovehim
    Original Author
    19 years ago

THANK YOU. I'VE ALREADY PICK UP TWO OF THE DYNAMITE RED. UNFORTUNELY, IT WASN'T THE COLOR I WAS LOOKING FOR. I'M STILL SEARCHING. I WILL NOT GIVE UP :)

• poiu
    19 years ago

Is it the cultivar 'Watermelon Red'?

• darlaray
    17 years ago

Did you ever find out what variety that crape myrtle was? The SAME THING happened to me. I passed a house and it had 3 crape myrtle's in the front yard and the flowers were a DEEP RED, you might say blood red. It was a beautiful color and I haven't seen that color anywhere else. I looked at the Clemson sight and the red Dynamite flower doesn't look as deep red as the ones I saw.
    i read that a cutting will root in 4-6 weeks, but how much does it grow in, say 12 months? I've never grown a crape myrtle from a cutting, but I'm thinking about getting up the nerve to stop at the house and ask! Any advice?

• buford
    17 years ago

4 years ago I bought 4 CMs at HD. All were labeled the same variety and color (dark red). Well 2 are, one is a lighter red and one is PINK! I have them lined up in a bed and wish they were all the same color. I suppose this is one of those times that you should buy the plant when it is in bloom.

I do love the pink one. It has the best shape/form and actually has a scent. And in the fall, the leaves turn a brilliant scarlet.

• catbird
    17 years ago

Auburn University has a good horticultural section on their website. The link below is to their information about Crepe Myrtles, including instructions on propogation. You might find it useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Auburn Crepe Myrtle Propogation

• bamadave
    17 years ago

You might like 'Red Rocket.' It was developed by the same guy in Oklahoma who put 'Dynamite' on the market. It has huge flower panicles, and they are red, but more of a rosy or a cherry red than 'Dynamite.'

• jerryngeorgia31557
    15 years ago

I have found at our local bank the deepest, darkest red crepe myrtle that are just unbelievable how dark they are. I just got about 30 cuttings of soft wood,just budding out and am trying to propogate it. I have used 'Root tone" on them. Is this the best to use and is using just budding out stems best? Would someone please let me know. Thanks and if they root I would be glad to send some cuttings to who ever wants them. All I ask is that you pay for postage.
    Thanks
    Jerry

• wally_1936
    15 years ago

I have taken the "suckers" and just stuck them into the ground. Had to keep them well watered but they did great. In one year they were doing great grew up to 6 feet tall. To get a tree just keep only one trunk or just let them run and enjoy them as a bush. They may still develope into to a tree, this I don't know as I haven't had that much time doing this. I did move one large bush, it died but from the roots I got 20 starts as their root run close to the surface and make suckers all around the area. They transplant nicely without any problem. It seems that if you want to create a sucker, just cut the root in this area and wait. This is also one good reason never to plant near any water system.

Not sure about cuttings with buds, they should be removed along with most of the leaves as they take more stength from the cutting that neads to be used for rooting.

• ngxzoom_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I also have seen these "blood red" flowers. I have the dynamite but I think thier not it. Does any one have the Arapaho Crape Myrtle? I think they might be the ones we are looking for. Let me know any progress..

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio