Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kysunshine_1

Japanese Beatles 'Help'

KySunshine_1
19 years ago

The Beatles are killing my shade tree, they have eaten almost all the leaves off and they have fallen off, is there a way to kill them before they kill my front shade tree? I was finding them by the dozens on my fromt porch every morning untill I threw bleech water on them. Now I never see them on the porch, but are still chomping away on my tree. any ideas, It sure would be appreciated.

Comments (13)

• envirocop
    19 years ago

Sounds like an emergency. Spray the tree with Dursban, if you can find some. There are other pesticides that will work too. Normally, I would not recommend this as I see it as "going nuclear." Be extremely careful when using pesticides. If it kills bugs it can hurt you too. Also, collect the dead beetles as best you can as the pesticide can kill birds eating the dead beatles.

Then in a couple of weeks spread some milky spore disease seed all around your turf to kill the new generation of grubs, the baby beetles. It may take several applications over several years to be fully effective. It is also more effective if your neighbors do this as well. Put out birdseed and provide birds with water to attract more of these bug-eaters. This all hopefully will make it unecessary to use pesticides next year.

• Twinkle
    19 years ago

Paul-san and Ringo-san have been hanging out at my house too. They eat not only leaves, but like grass as well. They must be very hungry. I have not tried throwing bleach on them, but it sounds like an effective deterrent.

(I'm so sorry - I couldn't resist)

• Rachel_Lexington
    19 years ago

I would not be able to resist as well, but I can't find my husband's Beatles songbook to adapt the lyrics of "Help" to apply to shiny bugs on my roses and crepe myrtles. I know "I need somebody" to "Please, please help me."

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

Our native birds do not typically eat Japaneese beetles. Kill the beetles anyway you can because they multiply with great fervor. Apply grub killer to your lawn in late August to kill the young. I am in a total all out war with these #(*$&%&^% beetles!

• patrickb151
    19 years ago

Well, are Grackles not native to NC? I have had far less of a problem with JB's this year due to a whole travelling herd of Grackles in my yard eating them.

I agree that all out war is required at times, just don't discount the contribution that birds can make to your JB war arsenal.

• YankeedoodleMI
    19 years ago

They make traps for these bugs, I've seen them hanging on backyard fences. Not sure what they are called, but I'm sure you can find out more about them at your local garden center.

• johnpoole
    19 years ago

lowes have traps but they are very labor intensive, they alos have liquid 7 dust and spray bottles. i use it on my roses after a rain. the grub treatment works for next years jb's.. i wish i could garden with spray, but i live in the woods, a million birds that ignore jb's and nothing will kill fire ants..except chemicals, i can't afford a large ant eater..

• kolesganny
    19 years ago

johnpoole, you're so funny:) Can't afford a large ant eater. That big laugh sure felt good:). The traps work great for us, be sure to put them out of the way of any of your plants. When the bags full, I just chunk it and hang a new one. The odor isn't so pleasant but better than all the LACEY plants I used to have.

• rosieo
    18 years ago

Try Windex With Ammonia. It has just the right concentration of ammonia to kill them on contact, and won't hurt the flowers.

• rokirose
    18 years ago

DON'T USE BEETLE TRAPS!!!!! They just attract the bugs. For every beetle that finds the trap, 10 more will find your precious plants. If you simple MUST try the traps out, give them to neighbors and ask them to place them on the far side of their property -- away from your garden.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    18 years ago

I put up the traps anyway - one on each corner of my yard. there are hundreds - if not thousands - of the #(*$&%&^% in the bags. So as far as I am concerned, that is less of them to eat my roses. I also sprayed Sevin on the fruit trees and haven't seen any beetles on them yet. I'll have to spray again this weekend. I've been hand-picking them off the roses, most of which are not blooming right now.

• Farm_Man
    18 years ago

I am having a horrible infestation on my bean plants. I can also attest to the bags doing more harm then good. they attract them from all around the neighborhood. everyday there are more in my yard from that thing, i began spraying with Malathion spray. knocked them right out but more keep finding their way back, ive got to get rid of the bag, it does more harm than good , unless there are alot ov bags around your neighborhood.

• debbiekeenan2001
    18 years ago

how often can you spray for beatles?
    Crepe Myrtle, desk flowers, etc with 7 dust?

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County