Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why Does My Crape Myrtles Have Two Different Color Blooms?

Posted by MidnightStorm z8 Carolina (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 20:36

The last few years my Crape Myrtle tree has had white blooms. This year it has some white blooms and some light pink blooms.

I've never really liked the white blooms so I'm happy to see the pink ones. But I'm curious as to how this happened. Can the color of Crape Myrtle blooms be changed by different chemicals, fertilizers, or other additives (as in Hydrangeas)?

By the way, I LOVE the purple Crape Myrtles I occasionally see in other people's lawns around town. Does anyone know the names of any of the purple types of Crape Myrtles?

Thanks . . . and happy gardening!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why Does My Crape Myrtles Have Two Different Color Blooms?

I just wish my Crape Myrtles would bloom!! They are always late though....thinking of fertilizing again - been several months (use MG Shake N Feed) - Dennis the Menace's rains can either wash it in, or wash it away i guess.

HEre's a link w/pics and descriptions of the various kinds...FYI....

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson - Crape Myrtles

o

Catawba is the darkest purple. Muskogee is the lavender...
Haven't ever heard of the Crapes changing color, but that doesn't mean it is impossible.

o

I have one that is light pink on one side and white on the other too. and it's not two different trees because you can trace up one limb and find branches for each color. I could never figure it out, but it's the hardiest thing. Had it at my old house and it was top heavy so it kept blowing over in its pot, therefore it never got any water.It lived like that for two years. As we were moving I threw it in the back of the moving van. It was very light because there was no dirt or water in the pot, only roots. Planted in real dirt, it quickly grew as tall as our second story. We call it our miracle tree.

o

I saw a crepe myrtle like this in dothan the other day - pink on one side and white on the other. I wondered if it was two growing together, although it didn't look like it. How cool - wsh my white ones would do some pink!

o

I have an azalea that does that every year, and a camellia where I used to work and also a rose. I think they call it a sport when it does that.

o

Chances are that the nursery put more than one seedling in a pot, they do this to make the multi trunked look everyone likes, and got two diffenent varieties in together.

o

Also, the color of the blooms of some varieties will fade over time. Light pink to white is certainly possible.

o

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/trees/crape_myrtle_varieties.html

http://www.urbanforestrysouth.org/Resources/Library/Citation.2004-05-28.0616/file_name/

http://dallas.tamu.edu/woody/cmyrtle/index.html

o

I have a tree that has two color blooms and it is one tree.
Pretty

o

Young cuttings will sometimes bloom out a different color the first time. Kind of a shocker...makes me think I got the tags mixed up and then they bloom the color they were intended to bloom. I have one dark red that bloomed out red with a pure white picotee...shame it went back to plain dark red. ;O) I think it would be neat to plant about 3 colors in the same planting hole....maybe pink white and lavender.

o

I bought and planted a crepe myrtle from a central Louisiana nursery, and bought it when it was in bloom. It was dark bright pink, and for several years after it bloomed as such. I have had it for about 15-20 years. I live in deep south Texas on the coast. For the past few years it has had a mix of bright pink and light pink-whiter blooms at the same time. It is only one trunk which branches at about 3 feet off the ground, and the blooms are evenly distributed, so I think it is something lacking in our soil. usually it tests at about neutral, where La. soil is usually acidic,or else I am bleaching the blooms with gray water. Which is what we use to water our yard freq.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here