Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katsela

gardenia propagation

katsela
16 years ago

I've got a giant gardenia in my back yard and I am interested in learning how to propagate it. Not sure what kind it is, just that it is over 8 feet tall. It blooms from mid June til about late July. Can somebody show me the steps to making babies?

Thanks,

Kat

Comments (8)

• mrskjun
    16 years ago

Nothing to it Kat. Just take some cuttings and stick them in a pot of dirt. Gardenias are so easy to propagate. Some people even stick the cuttings in a glass of water and they will grow roots there. I just find it easier to root them in dirt.

betty

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

agree with betty but would also say to keep the container of soil moist and move to a shaded area to discourage the cuttings from wilting. in zone 8, i left the containers outside all winter and they were rooted by the following spring. you may want to protect the cuttings from cold in a zone 7 winter by moving to a porch, garage or other frost-free area.
    if you do not have success with them this year(might be getting too late in the growing season), take cuttings earlier next year, say early to mid-june.

• suckerforroses
    16 years ago

great advice donna:)
    what kind of fertilizer do you use. and what do you do to prevent the roots from tangling?

• Donna
    16 years ago

I top dress my beds each fall or spring with about 1-2 inches of compost or composted manure. ($1.29 per 40 pound bag at Lowe's or Wal-mart) If things act like they need a pick me up (rarely), I give them a drink of Fish Emulsion.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean about roots tangling. When I pot up rooted cuttings I treat them just like I would a start from the garden center. I remove the root ball, potting soil and all, from the starter container and put it into a larger container.
    Now if you are talking about when plants get potbound from staying in their containers too long, I take my fingers and tease the roots out from the sides of the ball if they are fine roots. If the roots are large and obviously wrapping themselves around and around the ball, I take a knife and score the ball about 1/8 - 1/4 inch deep around the sides of the ball and gently pull the cut part open a bit so that roots can find their way out of the ball and into the soil.

• mommaclark
    16 years ago

Are the cuttings like when you propagate roses, an upside down "T" or like ivy, a stick with lower leaves removed? I'm very interested in snagging some clippings off a bush but don't want to ask and than kill what I recieve. Can you help me?

• Donna
    16 years ago

The conventional wisdom is to start cuttings from broadleaf evergreens (which a gardenia is) in the summer: from about mid June on to late August or so). I have never started them in the winter, but you have nothing to lose if you want to try.
    When you take your cuttings, look for healthy tips of branches with stems about the size of a pencil. You want to take a piece that has three or four sets of leaves on it. Cut the bottom two or three sets off next to the stem and then stick them in the soil.

• johnnyglades
    13 years ago

Hi, will the cuttings grow true if taken from a grafted gardenia?
    ...................~~~Johnny~~~

Sponsored