Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merriss

How Many of you??

merriss
18 years ago

I so hope that I do not step on any "toes"..but do you ever plant Patriotic Gardens of Red..White..and Blue?

I do and am proud of those who do this!!

Comments (12)

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

I love RW&B gardens. I have those colors throughout my garden, but not as a theme. As for those who might not like your RW&B garden, don't worry about them. They need to get a life and do something meaningful like fighting hunger and poverty.

• vicki7
    18 years ago

A Patriotic garden! That sounds like a wonderful idea! I had never thought about it but now that you have given me the idea....

• shaybass
    18 years ago

I have a flower bed that I started this year. It is round and has a flag, a fountain, and red, white, and blue flowers in it.
    Hopefully, it will look pretty next spring.
    I am still trying to find perennials in those 3 colors that flower in spring, summer and fall, so if anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE let me know!

• texaswildflower_
    18 years ago

I have planted one with RWB flowers. Mainly red and white lilies, blue salvias, red geraniums, pineapple sage (red), and find I need more white in it. It is tough to keep the blooms going all seasons...but I am learning.

Planted the red and white Lollypop lilies... had one show up a bright YELLOW. I have it tagged...and it will have a new home soon.

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

A patriotic garden would be a great idea. It is better than the small flags that some people around here put on the ground in front of thier mailboxes. I had a feeling when I saw them..... and sure enough there goes the nieghbor's dog running down the street peeing on them! Arrrg...

• Bamateacha
    18 years ago

Well, I know that I'm still a newbie around here, but I think that a garden should please its owner first and foremost. Good for you that you plant what you like!

I've thought about adding an Auburn University garden next year in some section of my garden. I have AU birdhouses and some tiger planters and have thought about having just blue and orange blooms. Now doesn't that sound a lot tackier than a patriotic garden? *wink wink*

• alex_z7
    18 years ago

Some people might call it that, but a garden is about personal expression.

A neighbor considers my plants tacky, I've been told, to the point of calling the police to complain (????--supposedly they came out and took a picture, but I can't imagine what I've done wrong) but I have spent hours and money and sweat building beds and planting and nurturing the plants. "Southern Living" perfection is not what I'm about and never has been. I have daylilies, hostas, hymenocallis, roses, gaura, and gardenias blooming. The neighbor I've been told is complaining has a small patch of grass(sod) and the requisite boxwoods, so I guess she is a "Southern Living perfection" person. The part of her yard closest to the street is a mess of vines interspersed with weeds. Why isn't she out weeding that instead of worrying about my plants? She knows I spend hours outside potting and planting and watering, I don't understand why someone would feel the need to try to so control another person's garden.

Like TSmith said, some people need to get lives.

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

Alex - sounds like your neighbor is jealous of your skills - unless you are out there gardening in the nude or something! :)

Bamateacher - I say WAR EAGLE - you do your AU garden - and send us pics! :)

• alex_z7
    18 years ago

Gardening in the nude--now that is something I just haven't felt like trying. Too many mosquitos as it is, lol!

I contemplated taking the bull by the horns and knocking on that neighbor's door to try to get some understanding of this, or call the police directly myself, but figured that would just make more of it than necessary.

• granite
    18 years ago

Neighbors are always interesting...go figure what her problem is.

Unless your color scheme looks like a Confederate flag as opposed to just bars of color? Just a thought. Its your right to plant any color scheme and design you want!

I met a new neighbor last year, as I was describing to her which house was mine on the street her young son chimed in "YOU know mom, she's the crazy lady out in her trees at night with the floodlights on.." She blushed scarlet red and started stammering and I just HOWLED laughing. Yeah, I told her, I'm sure it DOES look crazy unless you've been trying to establish a new garden with the very limited hours between the end of the workday and nightfall. I certainly have been outside with the flashlight and floodlights heeling in plants before I left on vacation. Seems that I always leave heeling in my flower baskets until last minute!

Here is a link that might be useful: new pictures of arbor, squash, lavender, etc

• topsiebeezelbub
    18 years ago

Alex,we must have the same neighbor...you described her to a T...She called the mosquito people on me 3 times last year, like they are MY mosquitos! I could go on for hours about all she has done...but won't. I have red and white zinias, blue ageratum and white allysum around my flagpole. Red tulips and blue and white pansies every spring.

• alex_z7
    18 years ago

Granite, how hilarious! I've considered doing the exact same thing at night, but haven't done it yet. Kids will say the darnedest things, won't they? (And it's usually what everyone is already saying anyway but won't say to your face!)

I don't have any particular color scheme yet that is intentional. Hmmmm.....yellow, white, blue, some red.

Topsie, I didn't even think of her possibly having called re mosquitos! lol There is a body of water not too far from our street so I have no control over that, either.

Like someone would WANT more mosquito bites. Sheesh. Neighbors can really be pains. (But the ones who tell me they love all my plants and flowers are good neighbors, of course, lol.)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner