Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crepe Myrtle

Posted by bdeardorf TX (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 08 at 21:26

I have a problem...We just completed our new swimming pool but on our lot and my neihbors just behind us, we have 3 40+ft tall Crepe Myrtles. I have never liked them but they do look nice....until we finished the pool. The flowers are so small that they go right thru the skimmer and clog up the pump. Our pool company has been out twice in the last month and if we keep this up our pool pump will burn up. Rather than cut down the trees is there any suggestions on how to limit the amount of blooms on these trees? I would love to "sterilize" these trees and prevent them from blooming. If all else fails they will have to come down and I will replace them with something more "pool friendly". My neighbor just moved in about 1 year ago and he does not like them that much anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crepe Myrtle

I can't think of a way to decrease the flowering, even if you tried to decrease the size of the trees, they are large and mature and would problably just look hacked off. It seems you might have to remove the trees or relocate them, not sure if they would survive the move, but stranger things have happened! You might consider skimming the pool more often with a net, or some kind of pool device that skims the surface or some sort of netting across the skimmer opening, or consult a pool service about possible other fixes.
Good luck.

o

We already skim twice a day. There is no way to keep up...it looks like it is snowing. The flowerbeds are over one inch think in dead blooms. I just do not remember them being this bad. I never paid much attention before but I guess they NEVER stop blooming during the summer.

o

I'd advise that you remove the trees and replace them with something else. Just remember: all plants shed something.

o

We use a skimmer filter cover that you can buy at any pool supply store. It keeps out all materials except water/chemicals and will catch the blooms from a myrtle before they get to your pump. Here is an example of what they look like:

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/Filters-and-Filter-Media/Debris-Shield-5-Pack/D/30100/P/1:100:6000/I/20732

o

pruning a CM only ENCOURAGES flowering, so don't prune them! CM's flower on new growth and pruning them causes the new growth.

if your neighbor hates them as well, then see about splitting the cost with him. if he reufses, then offer to pay in full. but you CANNOT do anything to them without his express permission.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here