Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner help with hanging vines for pergola

Posted by RestorationBelle none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 21:29

Hi, I'd love to grow a colorful vine over and around my (new to me) pergola. Any advice for what would work in TN (zone 7) would be much appreciate. Click here for pics of pergola and backyard: http://bit.ly/18GbL5G

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner help with hanging vines for pergola

I have a love/hate relationship with vines--some are just really aggressive (Asian wisterias, kiwi, trumpet vine...)! I am in the process of putting in an arbor myself. Will be using American Wisteria. Jasmine or Passion Vine might also be nice.--Some passion species are hardy to 7.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Wisteria

o

Your link. Looks like asking forum is "plan B" to getting crashed? Sorry! I got a chuckle though, so that's something good? Obviously it's not going to end the same way as it might have with a crash, but a multitude of ideas is never a bad start if you've realized, "I'm gonna have to do something out here myself." I always wonder about maintenance after the crash crew leaves. They leave a lot of semi-permanent stuff in those yards, but, I do that all summer every year too, on a MUCH smaller scale.

By colorful, I wonder if you have considered foliage as the 'star of the show?' Sweet potato vine (3 unusual colors of foliage,) Rex Begonia vine (Cissus discolor,) is prettier than most flowers IMO.

I would go with annuals or non-woody perennials. Woody perennial vines can damage wooden structures, and render maintenance impossible. Also harbors unnecessary moisture against wood all winter. Annuals let you have something different, like morning glories, hyacinth bean vines, mandevilla, you might be in the mood to grow cucumbers, beans, bird house gourds, who knows what whim you might have in a few years?

Clematis is often a well-behaved compromise, though often requires more investment in patience, coddling the first year. They go dormant, and can be trimmed drastically if needed for maintenance of the deck, though many types do not require annual maintenance. (Not all Clems are alike regarding maintenance, something to consider before buying a specific one.)

"They" say the roots should be cool, in shade, with the top/foliage in the sun, which IME is so true. If you sit some potted plants, or scatter some seeds of smaller annual plants around the base after planting, to shade the roots, it can make a huge difference in how quickly a new little Clem can get situated. Mulch doesn't seem to be enough, and tends to be a dark color, so retentive of unnecessary/unappreciated heat.

Looks like you could hang pots also. Hanging baskets can give vines a "head start" reaching the roof, while not taking up space around the ground. If placed correctly (for this goal,) they would shade their pots, so not dry ridiculously quickly.

o

How about Lady Banksia Rose which can be over planted with annual cardinal flower and moonflower vines for color
and bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here