Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Yucca

Posted by rmk1825 Dallas, TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 21:59

Hello,

I have a sick trunking yucca! The inside of the yucca where the leaves spread out from is brown and has cracked with some leaves. Shouldn't it be solid and non-brown? It definitely should not look brown and look solid. Am I overwatering?

Is there anything I can do to salvage it? Would u just return it to home depot and get another one? I've had it about 4 months. My sprinklers are coming on twice a week for 7 mins.

Can it get better again or is it gone? Click the link so you can see the pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Sick Yucca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick Yucca

I would take it back and try again. Have you examined the soil to see what your 7 minutes of irrigation is accomplishing? I wouldn't think much. Dig down about an hour after one of those cycles and see what the soil tell you.

o

It's possible that is too much water. I may be wrong, but I think the roots will rot is they stay damp too long. They are known to be very drought tolerant. They like arid conditions. Anything that likes dry soil will usually react badly to frequent waterings.

o

I saw some similar looking Yucca plants for sale at Lowes, early in the spring. I was going to purchase one, but noticed that they all had what appeared to be crown rot..which is kinda what it looks like yours has. I'm certainly no plant expert, but it does look like the plant was over-watered and rot has set in. These plants like dry, sunny conditions. I had one a few years ago that I lost to rot after a very wet, mild winter. I don't think it's your fault -- I seriously doubt the twice per week 7 minute watering routine would do that. I think the culprit is the overhead sprinklers they use at places like Lowes and Home Depot. I'd take it back and get something else.

Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here