Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_e_gw

Summer's Winding Down

Linda_e
19 years ago

at least here in SW Louisiana, though the 100+ heat indices say differently. Are your gardens like mine and about fried? Are you struggling as I to stay up with the weeds or have you thrown in the trowel until cooler weather?

Do you still have anything blooming or plants that are still looking good? It's been super dry here in my neck of the woods--the rain seems to circle all around us without blessing us with rain--yet my Blue Spires Indigo salvias are still performing like troopers. And quite a few of my "old garden roses" are still blooming and continue to bloom wonderfully.

So what's doing well in your garden? Do you have a certain plant that's continuing to perform great?

Comments (6)

• dogpatchlady
    19 years ago

We're grimly hanging on s. of Houston, moving the trickling hose continually on the 33 new trees we planted in March. We've been lucky to have so much rain we haven't had to water them until the last two weeks. The crepes were looking stressed, 5 Natchez and 2 Red Rockets. The 4 live oaks and 22 Eastern Red Cedar needed water too.

The tropical stuff, hibiscus, plumbago, ixora, esperanza, mandevilla, caladiums are doing great, with water. The rest look kind of weary.

• danbo
    19 years ago

I guess we're getting all the rain. About 2 and a half inches yesterday and more today.

But the tropicals are doing good. Gingers. Hedychiums are blooming as well as several curcuma. Our new giant crinum is sending up a flower spike. Cypress vine everywhere is blooming. Firespike is blooming well.

• Josh
    19 years ago

My favorite patio corner has Black Taro, Canna Pretoria, Castor Bean Carmencita with huge red spiny seedpods, several red Sunflowers and a few Yellow, and a volunteer Pokesalad dripping with green berries. Yeah, I know it's a weed but I think it's elegant as the stems turn red and the berries purple...the Mockingbirds and Robins are eyeing the berries too. And I bought lots of Coleus this year which are swooping and swiveling among all my green Houseplants enjoying the outside air..magical colors!

A mild summer here and I'm enjoying the 80's rather than 90's temps now. Fall is my favorite season...there's just something in the air..josh

• Josh
    19 years ago

Oh...forgot my very favorite Hibiscus coccineus whch has bloomed for a month now and still has a few big red blooms. And I like the foliage and dangling green seedpods. josh

• kdenise
    19 years ago

I was just last week making a list of the annuals I wanna get again next year because they have made it this far and are still looking good! Angelonia and Torenia are at the top.
    My first year with a Brug and here in Metro Atlanta I FINALLY have 2 blooms starting - I was quite jealous of a few neighbors who have hundreds of blooms all over several plants, and was thinking maybe it wouldn't bloom this first year.
    Also my first year with a Hibiscus, and am quite happy with the display on this "Plum Crazy" the past month.
    My honeysuckle doesn't look too happy, so it goes on the list to trim way back this winter.
    All my Sage is still going strong, though it's been wetter this year than past.
    Am readying to overseed the lawn, especially the dog's yard, if I can keep them away with chicken wire long enough to germinate.
    The Dogwood is starting to turn and the Yoshinos have already had a partial leaf drop, so I'm sad... Fall's not so bad I am NOT a winter person. Except that means Spring comes next!

• mercury777
    19 years ago

Rain lilies galore with all of the rain, but I am trying them with some more shade next year (afternoon at least) to help stretch the blooms a day.

Other things blooming now for me: Oxblood lily, Tuberoses and Acidanthera. Can't wait to see if my Lycoris do anything this September. Should be popping up any day now.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional