Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thahalibut

Whats a good vinca?

thahalibut
15 years ago

I am looking for a good vinca. I am looking for a shorter one under 10",, can deal with hot weather,, only gets max 2-3 hrs of sun, some spots less sun, & most important is that it blooms over a long period, & one that doent go crazy & take over!

any ideas?

Thanks

Comments (4)

• Donna
    15 years ago

Vincas need all day sun. You don't stand a chance in only two to three hours per day. I would suggest you try torenia. It's a wonderful shade plant that blooms its heart out, even in extreme heat. The Clown series will make nice neat little bushes about 12" X 12". There are trailers too, which are my favorites for pots and hanging baskets. Theyre very easy to start from cuttings too.

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

if i am correct, you are asking about the perennial vinca, either vinca major or minor? if so, there isn't one that i am familiar with which won't be an aggressive spreader, esp. in shaded conditions and in zone 8 where i live. it prefers some shade and spreads by runners. i am still battling it in my woods after treating with herbicide and hand-pulling.
    i believe donna is thinking of annual vinca, madagascar periwinkle or catharanthus roseus. it does need sun and reseeds mildly in my beds. a very good plant for our zone and produces just enough seedlings the next spring to provide bedding plants for me.
    there are dwarf versions of these plants. a google for "dwarf madagascar periwinkle" will yield some results.
    a good groundcover for shade might be our native pachysandra procumbens.

• thahalibut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well the only one that I can find that might work in my spot, yes, is Evergreen Vinca minor Atropurpurea. I canÂt find any others that will work in 3 or less hrs of sun. I wanted an evergreen if possible too. I am afraid of the Vinca minor growing crazy thatÂs why I am looking for suggestions for other vincas. I have seen people say they grow crazy & some say the MINOR is easily controlled. The vinca Atropurpurea is supposed to be less aggressive then regular vinca minor too. The Atropurpurea might get too much sun in my zone 9. pachysandra procumbens doesnÂt bloom long enough for what I need. Any other evergreen short ground cover that blooms good?

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

you could always interplant an evergreen groundcover with some long-bloming annuals for shade. impatiens and begonias are what i use, along with the colored foliage of coleus.
    a native groundcover for shade is chrysogonum virginianum, green and gold.
    another one is partridge berry, mitchella repens.
    most shade-loving perennials won't have the long-bloom period of the sun lovers.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions