Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By greginga at 2012-08-07

How can I make it look more like this:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By greginga at 2012-08-07

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crape Myrtle Shaping

Wait until the leaves drop in fall before you begin the limbing up, thinning out the crossed branches and trimming back the top.
That way you can see what you're doing.

o

I totally agree...this is a fall/winter project.

o

And, Greg , you're not going to get a strong,balanced tree
living up against the brick wall.

Would you consider moving it to a yard location and perhaps replacing it with one of the dwarf varieties if
you are preferring some crepe myrtle bloom in that position?

o

And, Greg , you're not going to get a strong,balanced tree
living up against the brick wall.

Would you consider moving it to a yard location and perhaps replacing it with one of the dwarf varieties if
you are preferring some crepe myrtle bloom in that position?

o

Greg, the other thing noticeable about your crape in place vs. the other photo... look at the other photo and notice
the proportion of exposed and branchless trunk to the volume of leafed out growth to bloom area.
It is a much more balanced proportion and the new growth is not allowed to grow so long as to weep down.

Crapes require much trimming and training and you must resist the urge to overtrim which is what it looks like was done to your foundation crape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here