Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moremoremore_gw

Can indoor plant food spikes be used inside?

moremoremore
14 years ago

I have a shrub that is thinking about jumping....he just looks off and not like the others .... these are newly planted and most are doing great...I'm also still watering every day (going to every other day now)....

I was told by the Home Depot guy that I should use MiracelGro Indoor Plant Food Spikes for flowering and foliage houseplants...maybe he didn't read the package...can I use these? It doesn't say anything about outdoor use for shrubs?

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Truthfully, the spikes are not a very good method of fertilizing plants...indoors OR outdoors. The reason is that the spikes are made up of a cheap, fast-release fertilizer that end up releasing their chemicals in a concentrated location. It is very possible to harm trees and shrubs that way.

That being said, I've seen the spikes for indoor plants. Aren't they tiny little things? Totally not the appropriate product for outdoor shrubs. Take 'em back.

It's also a general rule of thumb that newly planted shrubs and trees do not need to be fertilized for a very long time after planting. In your case, certainly not until next season. Frankly, I'd be looking for another reason why this particular shrub doesn't appear to be doing well.

• Donna
    14 years ago

Did you dig a really good hole for the plant? Did you mix in lots of good soil amendments and NO fertilizer? It honestly shouldn't need fertilizer, except perhaps a handfull of cottonseed meal or the like.

The spikes, either indoor or outdoor, do not move through the soil. They dissove within a very few inches around them and often, the plant roots nearby get too much and the roots that are further away get none. If the spikes are all you have, and you determine that the plant does need a boost, break them up and mix them with water then apply. The indoor ones should be fine.

Now. If you gave your plant a good hole, and especially if you mulched around it too, you are likely watering it too much. Stick your finger into the soil around the plant every few days. Pull your finger out and rub it. Feel moisture? Don't water. Feel completely dry? Water a day sooner next time.

If you didn't give the plant a good hole: at least a foot deep and twice the width of the root ball, broken up and turned until soft and crumbly, and mixed with several spadefulls of compost, or manure, or peat moss, etc: then lift the plant and re-dig the hole. If the soil is really dry, fill the hole with water and let it soak in just before you set the plant back inside it and fill in with that nice crumbly soil. Then water again.

Be sure the level of the soil around the plant that was in the pot is level with or even an inch above the level of the soil in the ground. It's easy to plant too deep, and a plant's feeder roots cannot get enough oxygen. This will cause wilting and even death.

Put a good organic mulch around the plant.

Did you miss any of these steps? If so, go outside and fix that thing. Re water and leave it alone. In a week if the plant still looks stressed, then give it some food: half strength liquid fertilizer ONCE. You can fertilize it again next spring.

• moremoremore
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lord- nice title and typo...thanks for responding anyway....

Yes, I've actually followed all the steps...I even dug it up to see if the hole was too small, but it was quite large and there was good soil and a nice mulch...

I BET I'm watering too much. I'm just now starting to go to every other day since I planted them 1 1/4 months ago in the middle of summer...but they get a lot of shade so I think I will cut back...

Since they aren't getting any direct sun, how often might I need to water them at this point?

• Donna
    14 years ago

There's no way to answer that accurately. You will have to stick your finger in the soil, etc. Once you do this a few times, you will get a feel for how often it needs water. For a plant that is established, water once a week is usually sufficient, but until then, you have to monitor it. Once the weather cools down and the rains begin to come more regularly, you can definitely relax.
    (I have killed far more plants with too much water than with too little.)

• ElectricFertilizer
    12 years ago

I know this is a bit late, but for those who are following this thread, me and some friends have resurrected some dying plants by electrifying the soil. It was amazing and we were all surprised that it worked. All you need to do is use a power supply or a battery and put a wire from each terminal on either side of the plant.

If it works for you, let me know!

Here is a link that might be useful: Electric Fertilizer Website

Sponsored