Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennatteberry

Duranta pruning help!

jennatteberry
10 years ago

So, I came across a Duranta at Kroger this year. I didn't know what it was and brought it home. I liked it so much I went back and bought another one. They are housed in 24" pots in my back yard on my porch. My first one was always beautiful. My second... Not so much. They're the kind with the little purple blooms. But with some tender loving care, it started to flourish and because just as healthy and beautiful as the first. Then the storm came. It snapped the second one that had just developed clean in half. I was so sad!! But then I realized it had a shoot, if you will, stemming off the broken trunk. Now my little shoot is approximately three feet tall and looks like a weed I guess. I'm wanting to know how to prune it back into the little tree shape and when's the best time. I need to brace it on something so it will grow straight as its leaning off the trunk still. Also, with me being in Mississippi, I know they will die if I leave them out so I was thinking I would bring them in for the winter? Can anybody give me some advice on this little plant? I've read where they're a bush but apparently can be trained into a tree. Somebody take me to school on this plant!! :) I've included a picture of my first one and what is left of my second - the one I'm wanting to fix!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH