Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jacobinia question

Posted by southern_bell_la z8 LA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 9, 05 at 13:25

i've been admiring this plant on line . i'm wondering does anyone have any success or failure stories they would like to share. i'm trying to be more responsible with my plant choices and am wondering if they are really perennial in zone 8 and is there any special care they require. any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jacobinia question

I live in Jacksonville, Florida, and bought this one in a pint-size container! Three years later, look at her! She is about 4-5 foot tall. Yeah, she freezes back a little if it gets really cold, but once the root system is established, they come back bigger each year. I have never covered her in winter. No special care or watering except for a handful of fertilizer a couple times a year (what all the shrubs get).

o

Do not know where you live,but here in the Houston area mine grow year around.I must have 40 or more of the pink ones.They root very easy I just got a couple of cuttings and everyone who sees them wants some.Mine have never froze back,but our winters are not to cold.Jessie

o

Jessiep is right about easy to root cuttings. I have done it many times, too.

o

My mature jacobinia plant has grown spindly at the bottom and bushy at the top. How (and when) can I prune it to keep it full, top to bottom?

o

I live in Milton Florid and would like a Jacobinia Tree in purple , anyone have any clippings ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here