Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fordtt

Hollies dying slow death...

fordtt
19 years ago

I live in the upstate of SC and have several second-year soft touch holly shrubs starting to turn brown. Sounds simple but it's extremely slow to turn unlike drought conditions. We've had good rain and they haven't shown any signs of problems until about 3 weeks ago. There is new growth on part of the plants but on other parts the leaves turn a dull color, then a purplish-brown, and finally brown...dead. I've already lost one shrub and fear there are three right behind it. Thought maybe iron deficiency, soil acidifier...no change. Any thoughts or experience are most welcome as I'm baffled. Never had any problems like this...

Comments (10)

• _sophiewheeler
    19 years ago

First year shrubs will need watering about twice a week, deeply. Are you sure that they are getting enough water? OK, then what about poor drainage and/or too much water? Are they in a low spot in clay soil? Have you checked the roots for vole damage?

• rosie
    19 years ago

Or checked the roots for some type of fungal root rot? You might dig one up to see what's happening down there.

• fordtt
    Original Author
    19 years ago

These are second year shrubs which were one gallon when I planted them last year. I also have four 3-gallon shrubs planted at the same time and don't have any problem with them. What does vole damage look like and need some more explanation as to what this is. I dug up one that had died and the root ball seemed very healthy with a couple of earthworms close by. The soil drains well. I have a lot of varigate liriope bordering the walk. There appears to be some new growth (small bright green leaves) on some plants that part of the branches seem to be slowly dying. The leaves aren't wilting or turning yellow per se...just from dark green, dull green, and then a brownish-green...to finally dead. Tough to describe over the phone. Almost looks like chlorinosis but without the yellowing...

• nandina
    19 years ago

Question...how old is the house and sidewalk? How close to the house and/or sidewalk are they planted? Are the three,3 gallon hollies planted in the same location as the dying ones?

• savannarose
    19 years ago

I've lost 2 hollies like that and my others have dead branches on the bottom of the bushes. I think it was a fungal problem and didn't start til we had rain and warm weather.

• fordtt
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The house and walk ways are almost 2 yrs. old. I though about the lime leaching into the soil and have tried soil acidifiers. Other plants in proximity are varigated hostas, lorapetalum, and daylillies. They aren't exhibiting chlorinosis such as veining due to lack of iron, just faint yellow, then brown. They are about 2 feed from the walk way and house. I really appreciate the responses as to the fact I'm sort of baffled. If it IS fungial, what would be a good product for the soil?

• nandina
    19 years ago

I suspect your problem is lime leaching into the soil. Although our organic friends get very upset over the use of peat moss, when planting narrow beds 'twixt' new foundation and new sidewalk it is wise to dig in a bale of peat moss for acidity. Or, don't plant acid loving shrubs in that situation. The leaching lime will be a problem for many years. Also, we have found in new construction that nothing will grow in spots where painters/contractors have tossed their left over bucket residues near a foundation, usually by a convenient door.

And, hollies sometimes just up and die with no reason. I have grown enough of them to know this happens. The soft-touch holly is fairly new to the market. A beautiful holly, by the way. We will have to grow them on and learn of their likes and dislikes. The problem could have originated with the grower. In the meantime it would be best to replace your dead ones with a non acid loving shrub.

• fordtt
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you so much for the input. Nandina, you may be right about the leaching and it may be that the 1 gal. shrub did not have the root structure to grow through it as the 3 gallon ones seem to be. We'll see what happens. If they're dying then it won't really matter what I try...I just might get it right. Thanks to everyone for their input...

• gmac33
    19 years ago

My 3 Hollies are planted with-in 12 inches of the cement side walk,with out any problem. 2 winters ago the molds did a real number on them. Last spring 2 of the 3 started turning brown, and I pruned off all of the brown, and right now, other than not being in the in the best shape because of pruning off the dead branches, they look wonderful. I think that a blight or something made them turn brown. They are great now, and I would like to know how to sow the seeds. Have a nice day !!

• fordtt
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I've tried a fungicide to take care of any mold, fungus, or soil related problems to no avail. I have some small, bright green clover popping up in various places and one about 6" from an affected plant. Instead of being bright green, it's kind of purple-ish...but not dying. About 4 months ago, a pesticide named Triazacide(?) from Lowes was sprayed on the mulch to control mosquitoes but supposedly this was safe. Makes me wonder is THAT is the ultimate culprit. Anyone else had a problem with supposedly innocuous pesticides?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES