Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
to 'lazy' gardeners like me living in my zone

Posted by cicadidae KY (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 20, 06 at 13:45

We just moved here and have this huge front and back yard. I have always been what I call a "lazy" gardener. I like plants that flower prolifically over a nice long period of time. If they get really big its even better. If they don't need to be babied, I'm happy (I mean I water and weed and such but don't have time to coddle plants).
The soil is clay and moist. Anything that doesn't like moisture kind of drowns it seems. I see that my neighbors have crepe myrtle, lavatera (rose mallow?), and marigolds. Crysanthemums grow well but don't like the rain in their faces much.
I've done bogs before so know that siberian iris, crocosmia, some daylilies, and joe pye weed work well but am looking for that special plant that just goes nuts with flowers...like the lavatera.
Any suggestions?
TIA
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: to 'lazy' gardeners like me living in my zone

Are you wanting annuals, perennials, shrubs or trees? Or some of everything?

o

everything but annuals please.

o

Shade or full sun?

I gardened in a bog over in Columbia, SC, for about 8 years. I had great results with hostas, swamp hibiscus, clethra, river birch, elephant ears, tree ivy, kerria, and (shock) black eyed susies! I also grew very lush ferns, impatiens and coleus (sorry, those are annuals), hydrangea, loropetalum, and st. john's wort (it's a beautiful plant!). But that was mostly in a fairly shady area. I'm not sure what (except for the hydrangea) grows in wet, sunny places.

o

Hibiscus likes moist sunny sites. Ligularia, if it gets afternoon shade. Ruellia. Florida anise (tree). Can't think of anything else off hand.

o

The front yard has lots of sun and a bit less moisture. The back yard has both shade and sun and more moisture.
Can't wait to check out all of these plants you have suggested!
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
karen

o

• Posted by carex USDA zone 8a (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 30, 06 at 13:30

If its moist enough in your back yard try Lobelias they are hard to beat.

o

We are in Greenville SC and have had wonderful luck with lantana...it's drought tolerant and can handle clay soil. We have a few of the sun lantana that are almost 5' tall and about 8' wide. These plants require zero maintenance other than cutting back the dead wood in the winter before spring growth. Easiest plant I have ever dealt with! Comes in tons of colors and varieties, plant away!

o

Maybe you can grow some of the things that seem to do best in PNW, like lewisia, lupines, geum, astrantia. (I'm always dealing with clay and drought it seems in Piedmont NC.) How about obedient plant, turtleheads, and for shade anemones, astilbe, lily of the valley? I've heard obedient plant can be a thug if it's too happy.

Becky

o

turtleheads are great in moist partial shade areas. Also butterfly ginger and cannas will be fantastic - both have great flowers and the ginger smells heavenly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here