Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with Marigolds

Posted by nana7 z7 AR (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 10, 06 at 14:16

I've always grown marigolds in my garden. However, this year I have lost every one of them. This morning I began pulling them up and took a pair of scissors and started cutting the stems in search of a clue to my problem. All the stem were hollow, and when I'd find one that still had some green in the stem next to the root I'd find a worm. There is a tiny hole in all the stems that probably served as an entry way. I have been hunting for answers on the internet and there doesn't appear to be hardly any problems with Marigolds.
If anyone can shed some light on this, as to where I could have gotten it or how to prevent it in the future, any information is appreciated. I plant in containers and I used new soiless medium.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with Marigolds

I don't know what they are but it sounds like what my mother and I have had in our gardens this year. Are they tiny worms that are an off-white color? I discovered something similar in my garden this year but it didn't attack my marigolds -- they liked my dusty miller, though, and killed all 3 plants. My mother had those little worms in her garden and they killed her glory bower.

It starts with the plants drooping, as with a lack of water...watering them temporarily perks them up, but they quickly wilt again and get to the point where no amount of watering perks them up. Soooo, you finally start digging around, looking for the source of the problem, pull on the stems a bit and the entire plant easily pops right outta the ground, which is where we've found the worms...in the ground directly around the plants, and in the stems.

Sorry to ramble on like this, since I don't have a clue what those worms are. Have you tried the pests & diseases forum?

Renee

o

I've had problems with slugs eating mine. In WV slugs and japanese beetles are the only problem I have with outdoor gardening.

o

I am having the same issue right now with my marigolds as well as osteospermum in the same flower box. These worms are light beige striped and they are fairly small. They have bore a hole in every bud on the marigolds. On the osteospermum they have spun a web around all the petals encasing themselves inside the blooming flower. I have never had this pest before and would love to know what it is and how to deal with it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here