Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm interested in scuppernong, muscadine

Posted by huckoshim none (huckoshim@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 14:58

I understand that these grapes are famous, in the south, so have come to Southern Gardening to ask for them.

The least I can do is cover shipping for vines, plantlets, or seeds of Vitus rotundifolia and other grape varieties.

If you have a trade list, I will respond in kind, with anything, which may be in season.

Thanks for reading.

(Same username on yahoo.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm interested in scuppernong, muscadine

I can send you cuttings of both for a large SASBE.

o

Thank you very much, zackey.

Could you guesstimate the correct postage, between your place and southern California? ( 92223 )

o

I got your package today. I won't need all of the stamps that you sent. I will fill the envelope and return whatever postage I don't need.

o

I sent your cuttings yesterday and one of each grapes. Hopefully you will be able to taste them. Very different flavors.

o

Hi, Zackey.

I just got them a few minutes ago and wanted to answer a questions you had in your letter.

The inside of the package was very moist. So, I planted them straight in the shade, without soaking.

With the thicker stemmed varieties, I have luck, just planting the nodes. Since this kind has more slender stems, I kept them intact, straight up and down, with just the top leaves showing.

I wasn't able to taste your samples, because they became alcoholic, on the way here. I was able to show my family how they look and salvage the seeds.

Most people know things like pruning spurs down to the second and third node, every year, but not why the grapes come out different than the ones from the store. I'm ttaking the time to learn how it's done on farms and coming up with new ideas of my own.

I wasn't worried that the leaves had started to go into dormancy for the year.

I do not typically water when the plant is showing no heat stress or when the plant is not in fruit, although it is sometimes very dry, here. I find that very slow watering of fruiting vines makes the grapes big without splitting them.

o

Thank you very much for reading. I will be signing off, for now.

Webmasters, please add an account deletion option.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here