Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xine_gw

Need assistance: side yard plantings

xine
14 years ago

Help! I live on a cul-de-sac, but have a rectangular shaped lot. My neighbor has a pie shaped lot and her house is angled funny on her property to almost completely face the side of my house and my front yard. She has a very small yard. We got along fine until we wanted to put in a fence for the back yard and part of the side yard (15 feet from the back corner of the house), and she fought us on it. We got the go ahead from the HOA to put in the fence 2 years ago, but it's been a constant battle with her ever since. She mows our property about 2-3 feet over, and since she mows at about 2" and we mow at 3" high, it damages our grass. We've finally had enough and want to plant something along the property line to clearly delineate where our respective properties are, but also to afford a little bit of privacy. I feel like we can't use our front or side yard at all since her front windows look out on it and she has NO draperies or blinds. (I know, she's weird.)

Unfortunately, the HOA won't let us plant a "living wall" of any sort (boo!), so we're back to square one. I need to plan a bed that's about 5-6 feet deep max and about 30-40 feet long. I imagining something with a mixture of heights, like leyland cypress or something similar in height interspersed amongst lower height grasses or shrubbery. I need it to be something that I don't have to maintain much, since I won't be able to go over to her side and cut/trim/prune. We already have a large (huge! pampas grass by the road, and our front yard has sagos, palm trees, elephant ears, and pizzaz lorapetalum. We also have a banana shrub (LOVE IT!) and liriope.

The area is in full sun, and we water every day from our well-fed irrigation system. We are in Zone 8 and about 1/2 mile from the Gulf.

Any suggestions?

Comments (2)

Sponsored