Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heucheras (Coral Bells) for Humid South

Posted by emmaean 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 15:31

Hi Y'All-
There are so many beautiful Heucheras now out there, and they just keep coming. The are coming so fast that books are too passe' to find out which ones are working where. My two books by Dr. Armitage do not address most of the coolest new colors. The latest and greatest are really expensive too. So my question - which ones are working in the hot humid south? Where should our smart New South dollars be spent on each color family (lime greens, oranges, multi-colored, silvers, reds, golds)? I'm sorry, I just don't trust catalog descriptions. To them every offering lives in Zones 2 to 11 and thrives at any and every level of humidity! I do know from Northern posts that Amber Waves is a pretty consistent dud. But so far the Garden Web southern forums seem to be pretty mum regarding Heucheras. What's the Real Deal, Southern Heuchera lovers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heucheras (Coral Bells) for Humid South

I have rather limited experience with Heucheras, but here it is for what it's worth: I have tried "Americana", "Palace Purple", "Can Can" and "Firefly" in bright shade. Of these only "Americana" and "Palace Purple" have survived for several years. The other two died in their first year. Susan.

o

Have had long term success with omly the Heuchera americana cultivars, such as 'Dale's Strain'. 'Green Spice', 'Mint Frost', some others that persist, but do not seem to thrive, are 'Pewter Veil', 'Plum Pudding', 'Ruby Veil'. 'Palace Purple' lasted for many years before expiring and I have replaced those with new stock. In my garden, the hybrids of Pacific NW species, sanguinea, cylindrica and macrantha, which includes many of the colorful leaf cultivars, have not survived for more than a couple of years. Often only one season. Same lack of success with the Heucherella cultivars I've tried.
Wish I could be more optomistic, but know of other gardeners in my area that have had the same experiences. We just admire the pictures and plant something else!
Rb

o

Thanks so much, Browneyedsusan and Razorback. That's what I was afraid of, and why I asked. I am holding out hope that others will respond with other Heucheras that are "working", or maybe with drainage or shade hints that make some of the other colors work. I wish the hybridizers would reveal their new offerings' lineage, but I guess that would entail revealing trade secrets.

o

I have some "plum pudding" variety. I planted them 3 years ago. Some have done great, others have died, a few each year. They're together in a front bed that gets hot morning/mid-day sun. I was thinking the sun was just too much for them...or the mid-summer drought. I'm trying to decide if I should divide what is left and replant or just give up. My landscape planner recommended them, but I don't think she realized how very hot the sun is on the front of my house (southern exposure).

o

I was under the impression that Coral Bells were a shade loving plant. Even here in Michigans U P they do not like to be in the sun. But do wonderfully in light shade. I tried some in our Alabama winter home, (shade) and had no luck at all with them.

o

Here are the results for various heucheras from the UGA trial garden for 2004. While you're at the site, you can also see the results for 2005. Hope it helps with your question.

Here is a link that might be useful: UGA Trial Garden Results

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here