Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snake ID for Wayne??

Posted by dissmith z8 SC (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 6, 06 at 17:18

I live 'bout 20 miles inland from Charleston, SC. Twice this summer I have seen a orangey-brown snake in the pine straw (with a bit a leaf litter) along the foundation of my house. They are about 4 ft long, medium thickness, no distinct pattern, and they ran away too fast to see what shape the head was or to photograph. Both times they ran under the porch. I don't really care what it actually is, long as it's not dangerous to my Scottish Terrier, who wouldn't have the sense to stay away!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snake ID for Wayne??

The color, size and speed, sound a lot like an Eastern Coachwhip Snake (which is harmless). Usually Eastern Coachwhips on the east coast are darker by the head than the tail and are orangey-tan over anywhere from 2/3 to most of their body.

By the description that would be my guess. If you do get a picture (it doesn't have to be high quality or a close-up) I can confirm that for sure. In any rate, it doesn't sound like anything venomous or dangerous to a Scottish Terrier.

o
RE: Snake ID for Wayne??

I looked it up in some Google images and if there are times when the darker color toward the head is not so noticeable, then that must be what it was. (My getting a photo is unlikely since I tend to not think clearly when I encounter a snake. ;> )
Thanks Wayne!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here