Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mums question

Posted by diddlydudette upstate SC (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 6, 06 at 17:26

I have some yellow mums in my front yard. I always thought they were more Fall flowers. I'm new to home ownership and they just popped up about a month ago. Now they look dead and divided and not held together very good. They just don't look pretty anymore. What do I do with them? Dig them up and replace with fresher looking one in the Fall? Cut them back?

Should I take weed eater to them and plant something else there? I hate to have them so upgly looking in front yard.

Thanks for help guys!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mums question

You need to trim them back so they can put on new growth for the fall. Mums that have been left in the ground in SC, with a warm winter, will bloom in the Spring. If they are trimmed before the bloom, they bush out and bloom in the fall.

Yours will probably bloom again, but not as much as they would have if they had been trimmed earlier.

Good Luck

o

Thanks for the info. Agnes. I had to go to Lowes today to get a water hose and I asked the master gardener about the mums and he said I could still cut them back now and it wasn't too too late. He did say it's better to do this earlier, but I'll know better for next year. Darn! :-) I have so much to learn yet.

Anyway, I came home tonight from work and cut about 10 of them down so hopefully they'll come back out and bloom in the fall.

o

I also have a mum question! I purchased several colors last year and planted around my back lawn. I had yellows, purples but they all came back this year as a deep gold and i had one come out as yellow. Am I crazy or do mums migrate to a common color? Thanks for your answers!

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here