Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
savgarden

spider webs on oak trees

savgarden
19 years ago

I am new to this, so this may be an easy questions. We have several oak trees in our yard. On some of them the trunk is covered in what looks like spider webs for about 10 feet high. What can I do to get rid of this?

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    19 years ago

I've never heard psocids called cattle ticks! Interesting. Anyway, these harmless little insects often find oak trees a good place to take up house keeping. Their common name is 'bark lice', but that is simply because of their appearance.

I would consider them a totally harmless, benign presence and just admire those webs they make.

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

I guess they are the same thing we call Tree Lice. They do make interesting webby things.

Don't worry about them. They may not come back next year.
    PB

• purplemoon0130
    19 years ago

Right, no need to worry about those webs. They look weird. The first time I saw them on my trees, I panicked! I called our local Agricultural Dept. and they said it was harmless. I had them on my oaks last month, too. Louisiana here, by the way. They come about every 2-3 yrs. on my trees.

• sweetsushi_att_net
    12 years ago

I haven't seen anything on the trunk but rather the webs are at the ends of the bottom row of branches. My concern is whether or not they will suffocate and kill those parts of the branches.

12 years ago

addie, since yours' is a different subject and this post is ancient, you might want to consider posting your own brand new thread and include some pictures.

• karen24jones_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

A large tree in my backyard has suddenly and quickly been invaded by a spider web that goes around the main trunk of the tree and all the feeding branches. It started very high up, about 30+ feet high and went out to the branches really high up. It has since been directed down towards the main branch, feeding off and onto every branch as it moves downward. Should I worry this will kill my tree and should I use any type of chemical to get rid of it?

12 years ago

Karyn, you'll have to post pictures of this 'spider web', perhaps in your own new thread. You've highjacked one that is eleven years old, lol!

If it is an actual spider web, you have nothing to worry about. Spiders are beneficial. If it is psocid webbing, as mentioned eleven years ago, you have nothing to worry about.

And we can't tell you if it's something other than that without some decent pictures.

• Alejandro Villarreal
    7 years ago

Psychosocial39@gmail.com..I have three oak trees in front of my apt. There's this huge fat spiders that come out at night only there greyish fat about 1 1/2 inches from both sides want to know if they have some kind of poison or bite there body is huge fat all over..anytime I go out at night I hit their hard web...please help.p.s don't have a photo

7 years ago

Alejandro, most spiders are nocturnal. I know of no spiders that construct large webs in order to trap their prey that are highly venomous. But ALL spiders can bite if they are forced to and all inject their prey in order to disable it.

Typically, the kinds of spiders found in large complex webs are considered beneficial and harmless. They are often found near human dwellings because the lights attract flying insects at night.

Of course, you've not given us any helpful information that can lead to an identification. A flashlight may help you see more of the physical details of your spider; describe the shape of the web and share your general location.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks