Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amytasgarden

Something to kill tree suckers

amyta
18 years ago

I saw on the internet a company that sells a product that kills the suckers that come from tree roots. I lost the information and now I want to order it. It was about $30. Can anyone help?

Comments (16)

• Logfrog
    18 years ago

do you mean suckers that are coming up from the roots of a tree that has been cut down? Or do you mean the suckers that come up from the roots of the living tree that you want to keep?
    Froggy

• amyta
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I mean on a tree that was cut down. I am doing a flower bed there and this is driving me nuts.

• Logfrog
    18 years ago

As long as there is energy in the roots, it's going to try to send up suckers. We have used Weed-B-Gon mixed double strength with good results. If you keep the sprouts popped off as soon as you see them and spray the stump, you should see them gone before next spring.
    I'm sorry I can't help you on the web site that you want. Good luck, stumps can be a pain!
    Froggy

• amyta
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Froggy. You really have been a help!
    Amy

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    18 years ago

There are products out there...and I used to know some of the names but not anymore. they are primarily used commercially to keep trees looking nice without manpower.

I want to say Tree Hold? But I do know exactly what you are talking about.

• gw:tree-mend-us
    18 years ago

I'm trying to find something that will stop and/or kill suckers on trees I want to keep. Any help out there?

• gunksny_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I would like to stop sucker growth both on the trunks and roots of living trees.

ANyone know of a good remedy?

Does Sucker-Stopper RTU really work?

thanks!

• amyta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Sucker Stopper" works better than without but nothing is a miracle worker. I've only used it on the tree trunks. Worked really well on a river birch and not as well on another tree.
    Some trees, like Bradford pear, just are horrible about the roots.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Amyta, find the larger roots which are the remains of the tree and remove some dirt from around them. Use a drill and use a paddle or spade bit. Drill into the root, do not drill through, just drill out a wide hole. Fill the hole up with Round-up BRUSH concentrate. It will spread throughout the root system and kill them all. Thus ends your sprouting problem.

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

Perhaps just continually plucking them out may help too. Don't let them get too large as they will store more energy in the roots.

• Donna
    15 years ago

I have had excellent results with Green Light Stump and Vine killer. The trick is to put it on immediately after you cut the tree. I would try cutting the suckers and treating them with this poison, or if possible, recut the stump and then treat it.

• joycehansen_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I have 4 beautiful flowering pear trees. Two of them keep sending up sprouts from the roots and the other two don't. Do you know how this can happen? They were planted in 2004 and seem identical otherwise.

• jkennard2
    12 years ago

Is there something that can kill crabpple tree suckers without harming the tree? Thanks

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Consistent pruning, done shortly after the suckers begin to grow, does the trick.

• minell_comcast_net
    12 years ago

After cutting off the suckers, could I use prunning sealer? Would that stop them from comming back?

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA