Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something to kill tree suckers

Posted by Amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 05 at 19:38

I saw on the internet a company that sells a product that kills the suckers that come from tree roots. I lost the information and now I want to order it. It was about $30. Can anyone help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something to kill tree suckers

do you mean suckers that are coming up from the roots of a tree that has been cut down? Or do you mean the suckers that come up from the roots of the living tree that you want to keep?
Froggy

o

• Posted by Amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 22, 05 at 10:26

I mean on a tree that was cut down. I am doing a flower bed there and this is driving me nuts.

o

As long as there is energy in the roots, it's going to try to send up suckers. We have used Weed-B-Gon mixed double strength with good results. If you keep the sprouts popped off as soon as you see them and spray the stump, you should see them gone before next spring.
I'm sorry I can't help you on the web site that you want. Good luck, stumps can be a pain!
Froggy

o

• Posted by Amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 24, 05 at 10:57

Thanks, Froggy. You really have been a help!
Amy

o

There are products out there...and I used to know some of the names but not anymore. they are primarily used commercially to keep trees looking nice without manpower.

I want to say Tree Hold? But I do know exactly what you are talking about.

o

I'm trying to find something that will stop and/or kill suckers on trees I want to keep. Any help out there?

o

• Posted by amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 15:30

I finally found the product! It's called "Sucker-Stopper RTU" and is available from montereylawngarden.com out in Fresno, CA. It's about $30 and can be used on living trees that you want to keep. Check the website and see if it can be purchased locally in your location. I had to order by mail for mine. Hope this helps.

o

I would like to stop sucker growth both on the trunks and roots of living trees.

ANyone know of a good remedy?

Does Sucker-Stopper RTU really work?

thanks!

o

• Posted by amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 14:12

"Sucker Stopper" works better than without but nothing is a miracle worker. I've only used it on the tree trunks. Worked really well on a river birch and not as well on another tree.
Some trees, like Bradford pear, just are horrible about the roots.

o

Amyta, find the larger roots which are the remains of the tree and remove some dirt from around them. Use a drill and use a paddle or spade bit. Drill into the root, do not drill through, just drill out a wide hole. Fill the hole up with Round-up BRUSH concentrate. It will spread throughout the root system and kill them all. Thus ends your sprouting problem.

o

Perhaps just continually plucking them out may help too. Don't let them get too large as they will store more energy in the roots.

o

I have had excellent results with Green Light Stump and Vine killer. The trick is to put it on immediately after you cut the tree. I would try cutting the suckers and treating them with this poison, or if possible, recut the stump and then treat it.

o

I have 4 beautiful flowering pear trees. Two of them keep sending up sprouts from the roots and the other two don't. Do you know how this can happen? They were planted in 2004 and seem identical otherwise.

o

Is there something that can kill crabpple tree suckers without harming the tree? Thanks

o

Consistent pruning, done shortly after the suckers begin to grow, does the trick.

o

After cutting off the suckers, could I use prunning sealer? Would that stop them from comming back?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here