Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngardengal

What can be used for row covers?

southerngardengal
18 years ago

I have a large amount of cheese cloth that I bought a couple of years ago. I needed about 8 yards but misfigured the amount by about twenty yards...:0(

I want to plant some lettuces, mustard, carrots, turnip greens, kale etc, etc, etc and am wondering if the cheese cloth would work as a row cover to keep the bugs that love to devour fall veggies away? Will buy some row cover if you all don't think the cheese cloth will work but if it will work will save my $5.00 (LOL) and use what I already have...Thank you for your help.

Jan

Comments (11)

• jim2k
    18 years ago

I don't see why it would not work as well as thing.You know the only thing you can do is try. Good luck Jim

• southerngardengal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Jim. I am gonna try it. Can figure what else to to do with twenty yards of cheese cloth. :0)

• HanArt
    18 years ago

I don't think the weave is tight enough on cheesecloth to keep bugs out. Good luck.

• woodsworm
    18 years ago

Southerngardengal, do you have any sunflowers? If you do, the cheesecloth mesh might be fine enough to keep out birds while the seeds mature (tie squares around the heads). Just a thought.

• southerngardengal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for the responses. I was thinking the weave might be too loose but wanted a second opinion...LOL.

WoodWorm, I didn't plant sunflowers this year. This is the first year that I haven't had sunflowers in a long while. I will keep your hint in mind though so when I do have sunflowers again I will know how to keep some of the seeds until winter feeding time for the birds.

• Annie
    18 years ago

Before floating row covers, there was cheescloth and burlap sacks, darling. It is what my mother still uses, and what my Grannie used in her day.

I even use old white cotton bed linens.
    Do not use sheets in blues or yellows, though, as insects are attracted to those colors and will hop on the cover and then find what's beneath it!

I use cheesecloth and it works fine and dandy.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

The good thing about the commerical product manufactured for this purpose is that it lets the maximum amount of light in, but keeps out the maximum amount of critters! Good air flow, rain penetration, won't rot or mildew, etc.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

The cheesecloth should work well. I also use old sheets. I have found that old matteress covers (the thin white ones) work really well and are breathable. These also work great for short frosts. You can cut off the elastic on the corners to make them more flat, or if you want to cover one large shrub or rose (etc)you can leave the elastic intact to get a more form-fitting cover.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I'm interested in the theory that plants like 'natural' materials.

• Cat
    8 years ago

I just saw the #10 on onlinefabrics, it is a fair price I suppose. When you get your "row covers" you notice right away you bought cheese cloth. I could have kicked myself for just not going to the fabric store and buying it. Most people I know are just using it to extend the season. I'm not worried about bugs. It's just to add a few degrees of warmth onto the flowers. no biggie. grandma is right, let's not reinvent the wheel here

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living