Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can be used for row covers?

Posted by southerngardengal z7bMS (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 05 at 19:38

I have a large amount of cheese cloth that I bought a couple of years ago. I needed about 8 yards but misfigured the amount by about twenty yards...:0(
I want to plant some lettuces, mustard, carrots, turnip greens, kale etc, etc, etc and am wondering if the cheese cloth would work as a row cover to keep the bugs that love to devour fall veggies away? Will buy some row cover if you all don't think the cheese cloth will work but if it will work will save my $5.00 (LOL) and use what I already have...Thank you for your help.

Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can be used for row covers?

• Posted by jim2k mississippi (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 8, 05 at 14:15

I don't see why it would not work as well as thing.You know the only thing you can do is try. Good luck Jim

o

Thanks Jim. I am gonna try it. Can figure what else to to do with twenty yards of cheese cloth. :0)

o

I don't think the weave is tight enough on cheesecloth to keep bugs out. Good luck.

o

Southerngardengal, do you have any sunflowers? If you do, the cheesecloth mesh might be fine enough to keep out birds while the seeds mature (tie squares around the heads). Just a thought.

o

Thank you all for the responses. I was thinking the weave might be too loose but wanted a second opinion...LOL.

WoodWorm, I didn't plant sunflowers this year. This is the first year that I haven't had sunflowers in a long while. I will keep your hint in mind though so when I do have sunflowers again I will know how to keep some of the seeds until winter feeding time for the birds.

o

Before floating row covers, there was cheescloth and burlap sacks, darling. It is what my mother still uses, and what my Grannie used in her day.

I even use old white cotton bed linens.
Do not use sheets in blues or yellows, though, as insects are attracted to those colors and will hop on the cover and then find what's beneath it!

I use cheesecloth and it works fine and dandy.

o

The good thing about the commerical product manufactured for this purpose is that it lets the maximum amount of light in, but keeps out the maximum amount of critters! Good air flow, rain penetration, won't rot or mildew, etc.

o

The cheesecloth should work well. I also use old sheets. I have found that old matteress covers (the thin white ones) work really well and are breathable. These also work great for short frosts. You can cut off the elastic on the corners to make them more flat, or if you want to cover one large shrub or rose (etc)you can leave the elastic intact to get a more form-fitting cover.

o

Cheesecloth is more natural - cotton. Plants are natural and they like natural things and do not like synthetic materials or the chemicals that outgas from them. The typical white cover you see sold in gardening stores is made of the same stuff that came out of the well in the gulf - petroleum!
I have found that cheesecloth comes in different weaves or grades. I'm going to try the #40 which is about 20 * 24 strands of fiber per square inch. To let more light in you may want to use the #10. To allow less bugs in use a tighter weave. Regardless, I an going to use all natural cheezecloth material.
Brett

o

I'm interested in the theory that plants like 'natural' materials.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here