Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cicadidae

strange vines crawling all over trees???

cicadidae
17 years ago

Hello!

I just moved to Kentucky from the Pacific Northwest. The plants that I find the most unusual here are these humongous vines that seem to have almost taken over several large trees here. One vine looks like a grape type of vine and has tendrils that are reaching out. Another vine has HUGE fuzzy vines that seem to have encircled the trees long ago. Some are as big in diameter as 3-4" thick. These vines send out what I guess I would call pseudo branches..dark leaves and some odd kind of flowering heads. Another vine appears to be like what I would have known as vinca only I don't see the flowers. The original tree has oak-like leaves and seems to produce a walnut type of fruit.

I have always been very much into gardening and the sight of these vines make me sick. Clearly they have existed for years and I question if removing them might actually harm the trees tho. If possible, I would like to get these vines off of the trees before they kill them.

I dont see that this forum has photo capability but will take pics as soon as it stops raining and post them where possible.

If you know anything about these vines/parasitic plants, I would be very grateful for any information you might have in dealing with them.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• Iris GW
    17 years ago

You can post pictures in the Name that Plant forum.

The first one sounds like grape, perhaps muscadine grape.

On the second one, if it is the vine itself that is hairy, it could be poison ivy. Can you see "leaves of three"?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Could even be mature English Ivy (wierd flowering heads) which has a very different appearance once it leaves the juvenile growth behind.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1264312}}

• cicadidae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just took a lot of pictures of these trees and the vines that are encompassing them. In total I see 4 different kinds of vines that have covered the trees so heavily I can't see what species my trees are. I will post the pictures in the Name that Plant forum and I thank you in advance again for any suggestions.

• cicadidae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

aha! just made an online photo album because there are too many pictures and too many vines to post in Name that Plant. The link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alien-looking vines

• buford
    17 years ago

Could be crossvine or honeysuckle. If they get yellow and white very fragrant flowers in the spring, it's honey suckle. It's invasive down here.

• catbird
    17 years ago

The vine with the larger leaves in the center of the second picture, top row, is poison ivy. Be careful with it. I've had good results with a huge PI vine by sawing it through near the ground, then pouring some straight Roundup on the base. Then every time it sent up a shoot, I sprayed that with Roundup (mixed). It takes a while, but the roots do eventually give up. Just be careful not to touch any part of the plant, even after it dies. Use gloves and plastic bags to dispose of dead leaves and stem pieces. Then wash the gloves well before touching them again. Don't touch the blade of the saw either.

I'd be inclined to sever the other vines and spray them, too, before they smother the trees. Just don't get Roundup on anything you don't want to kill. ;-)

• cicadidae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you! I went out and bought the roundup and plan to get out my reciprocal saw tomorrow. A man in the area told us that some of those thick vines are winter creeper. Apparently it is very invasive out here and kills trees. He suggested that these also be cut at the base and sprayed. I intend to simply circle each tree with my saw and cut everything that is not tree. When I am done I will spray. What happens if some of the spray hits the tree?

• catbird
    17 years ago

A little roundup spray on the tree won't hurt it, though I'd try to avoid it as much as possible. It has to be absorbed into the root system to be effective. Getting it on the leaves so that it's absorbed into the plant's system will damage a tree, but probably not kill a mature one. I keep some undiluted Roundup in a bottle with a drip top and just drop it straight on the stumps. You can also paint it on with a small paint brush Another idea I plan to try in places where I don't want to spray ornamentals is to put on a rubber glove, then put a cotton glove over that and wet it with Roundup. That way you can rub it onto the weeds without getting it on things you want to protect -- including your hands.

• cicadidae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Slowly I am going around with my chain saw cutting off access of these vines to the ground. Basically, because the vines are very thick and extend far up the trees, I cut out a chunk and sprayed both ends with the roundup. I could not find concentrated roundup anywhere so am just using the spray indicated for poison ivy etc. When I am done I am going to drill holes into the "stumps" and pour stump remover into them.
    I think I may be upsetting my neighbor lady. She says that she hired a professional tree person who told her that the vines are not dangerous to the tree. Her trees are also covered with the winter creeper, and the wild grape which is covering three trees on my property is hers...and she likes it and thinks it is pretty. I am the new person here and I have no desire to cause problems. I am willing to endure the stares at my trees with chunks cut out but won't push for the grape vine removal....yet.

• sugarhill
    17 years ago

Stump remover doesn't work real well. The roundup should eventually kill the roots. If you need to remove a stump after that, drill the holes and cover the stump with soil full of bacteria - leaf mold or compost, then cover that will clear plastic to hold in heat. In about a year, the bacteria in the compost should eat away most of the stump. Works much better than stump remover.

• sugarhill
    17 years ago

Forgot to say you should keep the compost moist under the plastic. If it dries out, the bacteria will stop munching on the stump.

• cicadidae
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The coolest thing is happening! I have addressed three of the biggest trees in the yard, cutting chunks from the vines and ensuring that all vine contact with the earth is cut off and sprayed with roundup. These vines go up like 20'-30' and the winter creeper has branches that hang down all over the tree. The leaves on everything including the poison ivy are turning yellow and dying. Soon there will only be old vine material and probably I will have to hire someone to remove that.
    The trees beneath the vines have turned out to be a wonderful silver maple and 2 black walnuts.
    Thank you for the advice on stump removal. I will start on it now.
    Thanks everyone for the help in doing this. The advice was excellent and it worked!
    karen

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!