Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersun_gw

Yellow Oleander Question

flowersun
18 years ago

Has anyone grown Yellow Oleander (Thevetia Peruviana) from seed? I'm trying to get the best advice I can on how to grow it. I got some seed from a friend, and they are large hard nuts. I can't seem to find any info on sowing these.

Comments (15)

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

I didn't know there were yellow oleanders - all i have ever seen are the pink ones and the white ones - have you checked the seed forum?

• flowersun
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It is not the same as comon oleander. However, I have now had several good answers to my question.

Thanks everyone.

• tfin410
    18 years ago

I just purchased (in Houston)12 Turner's Shari D. TM Oleanders that are a soft buff yellow with tinges of pink. I don't have much knowledge about them and this is my first foray into a forum.......I found this site by accident and am amazed at the questions and answers. Maybe I will get some info about my new Shari Ds.

• flowersun
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Beachplant - you have mail.

• flowersun
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm not having any luck getting them to grow from the seed that I have. Mine is in a very hard shell and I was told to soak the seed until I could peel the shell off and then soak the seed for another 24 hours... but that doesn't seem to be working to produce anything.

• ankraras
    18 years ago

Actually, the seeds that you want are inside the hard capsule. There is a noticeable crack
    around that hard pod, crack it open there and you will find the chamber with seeds in them.
    Just sow the seeds 1/2 inch below the soil surface. If the seeds are still viable they should
    germinate within a few weeks. Good Luck!

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• flowersun
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, thank you.... I thought the pod inside that outer shell was the seed. I will crack it open and try that. I saved some of this seed, but thought it was not viable. Thank you very much...

• Logfrog
    18 years ago

You might be interested in this article on oleanders. It has a great picture of a yellow one. It says that the seeds are not always true to the mother plant.
    Frog

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of yellow oleander

• flowersun
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Logfrog - that oleander is not the same plant as this one. This oleander is Thevetia Peruviana, or Lucky Nut.

• elis
    18 years ago

Having just today (thanks to fellow member) learned what this plant is, I have been able to glean the following info. I haven't found too much detail about this plant. It is pretty and grows well in San Antonio. From a friends plant I have collected seeds and am too trying to get them to sprout. Good Luck, and let me know if you have any more hints.

The term "oleander" refers to two plant species, Nerium oleander (common oleander)
    and Thevetia peruviana (yellow oleander), which grow in temperate climates ... both are highly toxic, easy to grow, do will in hot climate with not so much water, prefer full sun, will grow in part shade.

• azseedsaver
    15 years ago

I don't understand - do I plant the whole nut or crack it open and plant just the seeds?

• azseedsaver
    15 years ago

They sprouted like crazy! I just soaked the whole nut (did not crack open) in plain water for 48 hours and then planted 1/2 inch below soil. They all popped up within a week and are small trees 2 months later. I am still not sure if they will bloom true to seed (I have the apricot colored blooms seeds).

• PRO
    Home
    8 years ago
    highly toxic. be careful.
  • Hira Imam
    8 years ago

Hello from Karachi. Used to have a tree in my garden but it died in a storm. I've recently procured some yellow oleander seeds but mine are still green. As I understand I should crack it open, take out the seeds and plant them in soil half inch deep. Right? Also, when would be the best time to sow them. Nights are pretty chilly here now

Sponsored