Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Oleander Question

Posted by flowersun z9 FL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 20:58

Has anyone grown Yellow Oleander (Thevetia Peruviana) from seed? I'm trying to get the best advice I can on how to grow it. I got some seed from a friend, and they are large hard nuts. I can't seem to find any info on sowing these.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Oleander Question

I didn't know there were yellow oleanders - all i have ever seen are the pink ones and the white ones - have you checked the seed forum?

o

It is not the same as comon oleander. However, I have now had several good answers to my question.

Thanks everyone.

o

I just purchased (in Houston)12 Turner's Shari D. TM Oleanders that are a soft buff yellow with tinges of pink. I don't have much knowledge about them and this is my first foray into a forum.......I found this site by accident and am amazed at the questions and answers. Maybe I will get some info about my new Shari Ds.

o

These things grow like crazy from seeds. I have to pull up babies around the parent almost weekly. Just put them in some soil, any type, water well and in a few weeks they will sprout. If your seeds prove to be non-viable let me know & I'll send you more. Tally HO!

o

Beachplant - you have mail.

o

I'm not having any luck getting them to grow from the seed that I have. Mine is in a very hard shell and I was told to soak the seed until I could peel the shell off and then soak the seed for another 24 hours... but that doesn't seem to be working to produce anything.

o

Actually, the seeds that you want are inside the hard capsule. There is a noticeable crack
around that hard pod, crack it open there and you will find the chamber with seeds in them.
Just sow the seeds 1/2 inch below the soil surface. If the seeds are still viable they should
germinate within a few weeks. Good Luck!

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

Oh, thank you.... I thought the pod inside that outer shell was the seed. I will crack it open and try that. I saved some of this seed, but thought it was not viable. Thank you very much...

o

You might be interested in this article on oleanders. It has a great picture of a yellow one. It says that the seeds are not always true to the mother plant.
Frog

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of yellow oleander

o

Logfrog - that oleander is not the same plant as this one. This oleander is Thevetia Peruviana, or Lucky Nut.

o

• Posted by elis z8 san antonio (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 7, 05 at 13:57

Having just today (thanks to fellow member) learned what this plant is, I have been able to glean the following info. I haven't found too much detail about this plant. It is pretty and grows well in San Antonio. From a friends plant I have collected seeds and am too trying to get them to sprout. Good Luck, and let me know if you have any more hints.

The term "oleander" refers to two plant species, Nerium oleander (common oleander)
and Thevetia peruviana (yellow oleander), which grow in temperate climates ... both are highly toxic, easy to grow, do will in hot climate with not so much water, prefer full sun, will grow in part shade.

o

I don't understand - do I plant the whole nut or crack it open and plant just the seeds?

o

They sprouted like crazy! I just soaked the whole nut (did not crack open) in plain water for 48 hours and then planted 1/2 inch below soil. They all popped up within a week and are small trees 2 months later. I am still not sure if they will bloom true to seed (I have the apricot colored blooms seeds).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here