Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daytonaheat

Mosquito problems

Jim Dunkin
19 years ago

does anyone know if those gas powered Mosquito catchers really work? and do they catch other bugs as well?

Comments (8)

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

They sure do seem to work pretty well. Of course, nothing is 100%, but I'd wager this thing will clear the air of about 90% of them. I actually met the two guys who invented this. They were 2 young farmers from Northeast Arkansas..who noticed they didn't get bitten that much when they were next to the cows...and the rest is history.

• glenn9643
    19 years ago

We have a Mosquito Magnet "Liberty" model, advertised to protect up to an acre. It manages to reduce the mosquito population noticeably, but doesn't get them all! I supplement this with a propane fogger in shrubby and other protected areas about twice a week. If I fail to notice that the propane tank is empty I certainly notice within a couple of days!

• topsiebeezelbub
    19 years ago

I have heard that skeeters like to bite people who eat sugar...I'm on a diet and haven't had one bite this summer!

• Tracey
    19 years ago

I bought the cordless Mosquito Magnet Liberty model this year, after 2 awful summers of infestation. It took a little time, but I definitely can tell a difference. Correct placement is crucial. A neighbor of mine bought a Mosquito Deleto and says there has been improvement; however, I got bitten several times within minutes of being in his yard.

• purplemoon0130
    19 years ago

NEVER EVER eat sweet fruit before going outdoors! Bananas have been listed in the Guiness Book of World Records as being the WORST mosquito repellant!!

• fordtt
    19 years ago

Actually, the misquitos are attracted to carbon dioxide, which humans seem to produce quite well. I have also heard that they are attracted to darker colors rather that white. While I can't attest to their fashion preferences, I can attest to the heat and carbon dioxide. Clemson University has quite a bit of information on their agriculture web site through their extension service. www.clemson.edu.

• fernzilla
    19 years ago

I have heard if you take Garlic in capsule form on a daily basis, it will not only help your heart, but assist in keeping away Mosquitos. The scent is emitted in a small, undetectable by humans, amount on the skin. The insects sense of smell is about 10,000 times stronger than humans.
    I guess Garlic is supposed to repel All bloodsuckers LOL.

• mercury777
    19 years ago

I have a mosquito magnet and it really does make a difference. It took a while to kill the adult population but the real difference seems to come from the break in the breeding cycle as one less female means 100 fewer babies. After about a month I found I could garden with no bites. Before that i had to run inside after five minutes because they all came out of hiding when they smelled me. (or at least the carbon dioxide in my breath.) All the people who say these don't work generally sound like they tried it for a week or two and couldn't tell the difference. It really takes longer than that and the placement is also important. The biggest downside is taking the propane tank back to exchange about once a month. It's just one more chore.... Good luck.