Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat38915

gardenia

PAT38915
18 years ago

I have a large gardenia bush, and id like to know if i could cut one of the limbs off and root it, if anyone has any info on how to do this would you please email me..beadle@tycom.net

Comments (12)

• razorback33
    18 years ago

Dirr advises that softwood cutting taken in June, July & August, root easily. I haven't tried cuttings, but have rooted them by layering; bending a lower limb down to the ground, covering a portion of it with an inch or so of soil(leaving the tip end exposed), then use a stone or brick to hold it in place. You could also use a "hairpin", fashioned from a piece of heavy guage wire to accomplish the same purpose.
    I root a number of softwood cuttings from other types of shrubs and use a mixture of sand, perlite and compost or potting mix in equal amounts with excellent results. Good drainage and a moist medium(never soggy) is key to success.
    Since Gardenia's are a fairly tender shrub, you will probably need to overwinter the rooted cuttings in a greenhouse or indoors, remembering to keep them moist throughout the winter.
    Rb

• nonews
    18 years ago

After my gardenia stopped blooming, I took cuttings - maybe in July. I would trim the bottom 1/4 - 1/2" of bark off the stem, dip them in a rooting medium, and them stuck them into a bed of sand that I keep for rooting shrubs, etc. I try to mist them every day. Mine are rooting and showing some growth at the tips now. Good luck with yours. Nancy

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

To be more specific about your question....you really can't just cut of a branch and stick it in water. Tip cuttings, much the way the previous posters recommended, will work if done properly.

You can find more information by looking up woody propagation techniques on the internet. Good luck!!

• ccl38
    18 years ago

Take a 6-8 " tip cutting, remove leaves from stem, cut back leaves on top to half, dip stem in rooting hormone. place in pot with drainage, potting soil, firm soil around stem and water. Enclose in a plastic bag and let it hang out in good light. You should see new growth in 4 to 6 weeks. They always root for me this way. When they have good roots, remove plastic bag. I never plant out until the following spring.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

I wish y'all hadn't told me I couldn't root all these gardenias in bottles of water.
    Now what am I going to do with the ones I rooted in water this year?

The nine I rooted in previous years in bottles of water are doing well transplanted into the ground; some are as tall as me.

Nell

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

Hi Nell - mine are all doing great too! :) Hopefully no one will tell them they were not supposed to root that way - i usually root about 30 or so a year that way. Of course, I am more successful with tip cuttings in water than older growth.

See the pic - it is one i planted in 1998 - my mother rooted it in water, tip cuttings......

Here is a link that might be useful: One of my gardenias in bloom

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

hi nancy/no news :)
    gardenia's been on my wish list
    for a long time, and just yesterday
    i acquired my first one. i see
    you're zone 7, too - will they
    overwinter in the ground here?
    not sure why it's been stuck in
    my mind that they have to be
    brought inside here in the winter.
    thanks.
    marsha

• serenoa
    18 years ago

A friend of mine in Jacksonville roots a lot of different shrub cuttings in water. Some of them, like rosemary, have surprised me. I try hard to avoid telling my fellow gardeners that something cannot be done. Too often, they have proved me wrong.

• momma5
    16 years ago

I have two potted gardenia plants in my yard and I absoutly love them. I live in South Florida. Can someone please tell me how to cut back the Gardenias and how to reroot the cuttings? Also, what can I use as an all natural pestacied? I have young children who love to smell the flowers and I do not want harsh chemicals on the plants. Are Gardenias poisonous to cats?

• iris_lover
    16 years ago

I agree with Nell. They are easily rooted in water. Actually, my first ones I rooted were accidental.... from cut flowers I had in a vase.

marie

• lanier_2007
    16 years ago

The great thing about gardenias is that they are incredibly forgiving when you take cuttings! I generally stick any and all cuttings when I prune them back into a bucket of water for a day or so and collect anything I need to get them started in a propagation mix. Once they are in pots with mix I usually stick them in a protected sunny place and forget about them unless it is very dry. The ones that do not make it get composted and the ones that do get planted or passed to friends. It is a win-win for everyone. Gardenia gets trimmed, I get more plants, my friends get gardenias to start their own cycle of cut-pot-give!

• vickibchristie_juno_com
    12 years ago

How far can it be cut back and when?

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz