Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with ID and care of these bushes

Posted by wolfsburged 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 23:02

First time posting. We bought and moved into this house about 9 months ago. We are in Cary, North Carolina. The property is heavily wooded and shaded.

Along the front foundation there are these bushes that are looking quite sorry. I'm not sure what they are, I believe they may be some sort of boxwood shrub?

The shrubs are very sparse and aren't looking very good. I'd like to either tend to these to get them to fill in, or find a replacement that will fill in better. I'm not sure if I should try to prune them at all, or add fertilizer, or???

They get a little bit of sun mid-day, but not much. Not sure what soil prep has ever been done, last owners did not do much of anything landscaping wise.

Here they are:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with ID and care of these bushes

Hard to tell what kind they are but my new house is a similar situation..not much sun in the front.
What my house has is azaleas at the foundation which are gorgeous briefly, scraggly mostly and annoying for their ability to trap leaves in the brushy branches.

What you have looks like it's going to be a forever trimming task every year.
Pull them out after a decent rain loosens the soil then replant them where they'll look better.
Then you have a wide opportunity of choices what to plant
in that spot.
While you have the shrubs out, you might even want to redesign the front steps in brick and incorporate them into a lower planter across the front of the foundation no higher than your foundation vents.
Imagine a pretty brick planter filled with cascades of flowers (of course you'll have to water them)
Just a thought.

o
RE: Help with ID and care of these bushes

spreading yews are nice as a foundation planting in mostly shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here