Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it possible to plant potatos in the fall?

Posted by jennbenn z7b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 3, 06 at 23:56

In zone 7bish Memphis?
Don't laugh... I really want too!
(but can wait till spring if I have to!)
It just seems like we go to spring for a minute, then summer is on, where as fall is slightly longer. Thanks!
jenn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it possible to plant potatos in the fall?

Plant potatoes in April/May. It takes 90 to 150 days for them to mature.
You may want to contact your local Extension Service for specific info.

o

You are a little further north than I but I can't Imagine planting potatoes in April/May unless your talking sweet potatoes. The heat would kill them by July and they would not set anything worth digging. Potatoes are a cool season plant. Check you local extension office. My guess is late Feb. early March. I plant early to mid Feb. here in midlands area of SC. with Harvest in May for early varieties and June for late. I have not had succes growing in the fall. The tubers will not sprout. I was told to chill them but still nothing. I did have potatoes come up the following march in the area I tried to plant fall potatoes.

o

I've not had a problem with putting out a few potato eyes (or composted potatoes) in early August, despite the "rules". They sit and sulk until the weather cools, then produce for a short or long while depending on the fall temps.

I wouldn't rely on them for my main crop, but grabbling for new potatoes in the cool fall air is a treat.

d

o

Planting potatoes in August is a common practice here in South Louisiana (8b/9a). Give them a little protection and go for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here