Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev1065

off topic- cat food problem

bev1065
14 years ago

Two of our three cats keep vomiting their dry cat food. They haven't always done this.We feed name brands. Have tried Friskies, Meow Mix even Purina One. They don't appear to be sick (have no other symptoms).It doesn't look like hairballs, just cat food. If anyone has any suggestions please tell me. I always take them to the vet when their sick, just don't think he will be able to tell me much since they have no other symptoms and don't appear to feel bad.

Comments (10)

• marcelj
    14 years ago

We feed ours purina kitten chow & are fine.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

There is a Pet Forum. However, your vet is the best person to answer your question. Clearly, vomiting is not 'normal'.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Check the condition of the food in their vomit. If your cats are swallowing the food whole, when it hits their stomach and absorbs the gastric juices it swells up and they can feel too full and will throw up to relieve the pressure. Started happening to our two cats as they grew up. Try switching to a smaller sized dry cat food or break up the food into smaller bit sized portions.

Not wanting to get on a soap box here, but keeping cats on dry food can lead to problems with cystitis in neutered male cats. Been there, done that, spent tons of money getting the cat over it and to stop urinating on the floor as a result of a chronic cystitis problem. Try switching them to a wet food with occasional "treats" of dry food.

• bev1065
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I have them on canned food only for right now and am waiting to see what happens.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

I once had a Siamese mix who gobbled her food & then puked it right up again.

The only thing that worked was taking her off dry food, which I now understand was the best thing for her anyway, since, as someone mentioned above, dry food is hard on the kidneys.

hope your canned food regimen is working out

• saldut
    14 years ago

Hi - I am the lucky Mom to 9 ( nine ) kitties, 5 are strictly inside and 4 are outside, from the alley.. they are all neutered and needled... I learned the hard way that dry food is really bad, it can cause Diabetes as well as Urinary-Tract problems, also a host of other illnesses.... I now have them on a high-quality canned food, not from the grocery, I get Natural Balance, Evo, Wellness they are all meat-based with no grains or fillers or By-Products ( I called Science Diet and asked what by-products are, and was told it is beaks, feathers, and feet, no human-grade food ), I go to a Pet Food Specialty store and you will have to hunt to find one in your area......I rinse out the cans and add the water to the mix, cats do not naturally drink enough water, they are 'desert animals', and the extra water helps with their stool and urine.... I learned all this the hard way and by research on Google..... sally

• bev1065
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I should have posted this weeks ago. Thanks for the help. My vet said that it is hairballs even though I don't see hair. He advised 2 or 3 doses of Laxatone and feeding canned food only. Everyone is doing better.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Good to hear that your problem was diagnosed Bev. I do what saldut says as well-rinse the cat food cans out with warm water and add that to the wet food. Mix it up well and the cat gets cat soup every meal! LOL

• copanolady
    14 years ago

Regarding water- I have four indoor only cats who love to drink out of a fountain on the floor. It's a (spitting) fish into a bowl and I have to watch it to keep it filled. I buy distilled water for the fountain (keeps it clean & running) and for the cats. They love it.

• piedmontnc
    14 years ago

We had the same problem with one of our cats. Check the dry food ingredients, we noticed that corn products were the first ingredient (which means it's the most), we switched to a dry food that lists animal products as the first ingredient and have cut down on the vomiting about 80%. I suspect the corn protein and other vegetable matter swells more when wet.

Sponsored