Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Azaleas and Spacing

Posted by Towsonite none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 10:09

I am going to be planting a row of azaleas and do not want there to be any space in between. The grower's label says spacing should be 4ft. If I want to be certain that the azaleas are growing together, but, of course, not too crowded and lose all shape, how far apart would you plant them? 3ft, 3.5ft, 4ft?

I had a landscaper friend who planted some in the past for me at around 3ft, despite me suggesting otherwise, saying they "would never reach that in umpteen years, don't worry about it, yada yada yada." So, I'm also wondering whether I should transplant those as well before they become too big to move.

Both the earlier azaleas and the current ones are supposed to be 4'wide and 4.5'high.

Thanks for your help!

This post was edited by Towsonite on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 11:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Azaleas and Spacing

I think that anyone giving you advice will want to know what kind of azaleas you're going to plant, as well as your general location.

o
RE: Planting Azaleas and Spacing

Hi, the ones I plan to plant are Encore Autumn Twist. The earlier planted were Autumn Jewel. I'm in Maryland 7a.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here