Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help ID this plant

Posted by CFB123 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 04 at 10:12

Hello: Anyone know what this is? I've never seen this before. It looks like a Cherry Tomato bush, but of course, isn't. "Fruits" are about size of a small Cherry tomato. I should have taken a close-up of the leaves. Is this some kind of Holly? Or an ornamental pepper?
Woman who has them doesn't know what they are...they were planted when she bought the house. They are perennials. She does not prune them. They are about 12" tall & spread out just as the photo.

They are so neat :-) I took a bunch of the "fruit" so I could try to grow from seed. Hope the plant isn't poisonous!

Appreciate any help. CFB

I am posting a link to the photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shrubs forum gallery

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help ID this plant

• Posted by Dancey Zone 8b Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 19, 04 at 11:41

I had no idea what the plant was but my dh says he thinks it's a pomegranite. I googled the pomegranite and I also think that may be what your mystery plant is.

Dancey

o

Looks like a jerusalem cherry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jerusalem cherry

o

It's not a pomegranite. Trust me on that.

It might be a Jerusalem cherry. Are you where it wouldn't freeze during the winter?

o
I think it's a solanum pseudocapsicum

Hi all: Thanks for answering.

Yes--I believe it's a "solanum pseudocapsicum" or Jerusalem Cherry. Might be variety "Red Giant" based on info in my garden ID book.

PeaBee4: I'm here in Middle TN, it can freeze, but the lady told me she does nothing to them and they come back year after year. So, I guess our temps are not a problem for them.

o

I guess by now you have figured out that it IS poisonous.

o
Yup it's poisonous if....

you consider "severe discomfort if digested" (as my ID book states) & other unpleasantries that will take place! :-)

I'll try my best at growing it, but will pass up any attempt at tasting!

Thanks again. CFB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here