Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jyearout_gw

Squash Issue, NZ Spinach & Tomato Question

JYearout
12 years ago

Hello Garden God's and Goddesses...

I have recently begun my Raised Bed Garden down here in SWFL. I have started a few things and most are growing well. I do have some issues with my crookneck yellow squash plant though. Its leaves are turning yellow and crinkly. I have attached a picture below please let me know what you think. My Zucchini Plant when through something similar but has since bounced back fully, and my scallop squash bush has been just fine through it all.

{{gwi:1264618}}
Bed with Zucchini in lower bed, Squash (in question), 2 cucumber, 1 Eggplant, & NZ Spinach

{{gwi:1264619}}
Squash Plant in Question

{{gwi:1264620}}
Leaf of Squash in Question

--------

Onto the NZ Spinach question... I planted 2 seeds in the square and have pulled up a side sprout that was developing much less quickly. In the picture below you will however notice there are 4 spouts. Is that usual? Do I need to thin them or is that typical and how the plant should grow?

{{gwi:1264621}}
NZ Spinach

--------

As for Tomatoes... Someone has already told me that I started too late but I thought what the hell I'll give it a try. So I sprouted them in some vermiculite, then transplanted them to these little grow pots. They have been growing in their pots for about 2 weeks and this is where they currently stand. I have them under my grow lights (2 CFL bulbs with reflecting domes) The plants are between 4-6 inches from the light bulbs and they are on from when I wake up to when I go to bed about 14 hours a day. Are they where they should be? I feel like I should be seeing more growth in the form of leaves... All insight would be appreciated.

{{gwi:1264622}}
Tomato Plants

Comments (7)

• Donna
    12 years ago

Bring your grow lights down closer to the leaves: 2-3 inches above them. And, leave them on for eighteen hours a day. I run mine on a $6 timer from Wal Mart. Big time saver.

I would try giving the squash plant some fertilizer. Also, the plants look like they need to go into the ground. Just FYI, it is super easy to just start squash seeds in the ground. Then you don't have to do the whole potting thing, and since squash don't like transplanting, you avoid those issues. (They can be transplanted, just take great care not to injure the roots.) Keep in mind that squash like super warm weather, so that's another reason to start them outside.

I have not grown New Zealand spinach, but that looks like four seeds got planted together. If so, it's a simple matter of pinching out all the plants but one. Do not pull them, as you will disturb the roots of the one you want to keep.

For loads more info, check out the Vegetable Gardening Forum.

• JYearout
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you donna for your input. I will make the proper adjustments to my tomato plants. I will fertilize the Squash plant as well hoping that it will draw some nutrients and burst back to health...

As far as going into the ground is do you mean I need to dig them deeper into their beds? I planted those outside direct into the garden.

Thanks for the advice on the NZ Spinach however I am certain that only 2 seeds were planted there and the original plant that I clipped back was off to the side and much slower to grow so it seems as if 4 are coming from 1 seed...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

I'm thinking that the squash leaves look like mosaic virus has attacked. Anybody else wonder about that?

• Donna
    12 years ago

Sorry, didn't look closely enough. They are in the ground...Duh.

Gee, rhizo, you could be right! The more I look, the more I think it could be Mosaic Virus.

If so, there's no time to lose. (If you have doubts, take a sample of the foliage to your local, knowledgeable, nurseryman or Ag Extension Agent for verification.) Assuming confirmation, first of all, JY, destroy the affected plants. Aphids and cucumber beetles can spread it to healthy plants if they feed on infected ones. And any fruit the sick ones make will be stunted and no good. Keep a close watch on your other plants. If they start showing symptoms, destroy them too. (I would immediately buy fresh seed and start them in small pots as back ups. Plant them in a different spot and don't plant any cucs, squash or melons in this box for 3 to 4 years. Yeah, I know. Bummer.)

Second, where did you get your seed? This disease can easily be spread by contaminated seed. If the seed was not certified as disease free, destroy any seed you have.

Third, do you have weedy areas near your garden? They can be host plants for Mosaic Virus and the critters that carry it.. Cut them down, Round them up, whatever. And keep them under control. (This is good advice for lots of things. You wouldn't believe all the bad insects that breed in weeds just waiting for you to plant your veggies.)

Re: the spinach. Since you're certain that you planted only two seeds and one has been pulled, it's logical to assume that the one seed is making four sprouts. Time will tell.

And the tomatoes, how are they doing? If they're not growing quickly by now, feed them too. And be aware that they like somewhat cooler temps for growing on than they prefer for germination. When I start my spring plants, I germinate them upstairs in the heated house, then move them to the unheated basement once they get their first set of true leaves.

• JYearout
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all for your insight... Being my first attempt I am perpetually afraid of something going wrong but in the end it is just my first attempt so there is always next season or 3 - 4 years... Oy!

Got my seeds from Victory Seed Company I don't know if it was certified disease free but not all my plants are exhibiting signs.

I do not have any weedy areas near my garden, but I will take a piece of the plant to the extension and see what they say. The only bugs I have found on the plants are cabbage loopers, (little green caterpillars) and ants.

My tomatoes look about the same still with very small first true leaves. I feel like they are stunted and not growing properly. Today I switched over to larger fluorescent shop light style got them closer and on the 18hr timer and offered them a little fertilizer. If I do not see improvements over the next 2 weeks I may scrap this first attempt and try to grow another set.

• JYearout
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wanted to follow up and let everyone know that my Tomato and Pepper plants are exploding with growth now that I put them under the shop light on the 18 hour timer. I am so happy. For me the CFL bulbs did not provide adequate lighting for growth.

I have pulled 2 of my squash plants as they were looking very bad, my zucchini are looking pretty good still so I am letting those grow. I may try and replant the squash in a different location and hope for better.

Thanks for the insight.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I think you should be able to grow tomatoes well now if you are in zone 10. Gardening is always trial and error. Just don't give up!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz