Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodils for the south

Posted by oldblush 8a, MS (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 15, 06 at 10:24

What are some daffodils that faithfully return each year in the south (z8)? I know lots of the big box stores sell variety packs and I've bought them in the past but very few ever return. TIA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodils for the south

In his book, GARDENING SOUTHERN STYLE, Felder Rushing recommends these daffodils:

Carlton (big yellow)
Mt. Hood (big white)
Thalia (white)
Ice Follies (yellow petals w/ white cup)
Poeticus (white w/ yellow cup ringed w/ red)
Tete-a-tete (miniature yellow)
Minnow (very miniature yellow)

Others that I've had great success with in our mild winters/early springs are Salome (white w/ apricot trumpet); Erlicher (scented white double, cluster-flowered); St Kevern (wonderful large-cupped yellow) and St Patrick's Day (large-cupped pale yellow w/ cream shading on the cup & sometimes a hint of green).

I've found a good source for top-quality bulbs that do well in the South to be Terra Ceia Farms. I'll attempt to post a link . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Terra Ceia Farms

o

Thanks so much for the info! I checked out the site and will probably place an order shortly.

o

My King Alfreds have been coming back for 25 years now - and naturalizing.

o

One of the experts of our local daffodil society says that the old King Alfreds are good but some of the new ones aren't as dependable. I noticed that some of the new ones are labeled "King Alfred 'type'".

o

Hamp,

John Scheepers has a daffodil mix that contains "only those varieties that thrive in the warmer climates of horticultural zone eight and up". That sounds like the mix for you. I've never ordered from them, but I've read great things about on both the bulb and lily forum.

If you try them, let me know how they do!

Joy

Here is a link that might be useful: Southland Narcissus Mix

o

• Posted by rayama 7b Birmingham, Al (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 29, 06 at 15:00

My aunt loves this company. They have mixes by zone, size, and whether they naturalize (make more bulbs).

Here is a link that might be useful: White Flower Farms daffodils

o

I second rayama's recommendation of the White Flower Farm collection of daffs for southern gardners. My in laws gave me this collection as a gift about 5 years ago. It is a mixture of several different kinds and I have blooms from early January to April. Susan

o

Daffodils need that winter freeze to come back the following year, its too warm in the south for bulbs we grow in the north.

o

smurfboy there are countless varieties of daffodils that do well even as far south as the gulf coast and return year after year. I just didn't know which ones to plant but I do have a long list now.

o

St. Keverne is also a successful narcissus in the South.

o

Daffodils that do well for me that have not already been listed:
Early Louisiana
Campernelle
Butter & Eggs
Jet Fire
Hoop Petticoat
Twin Sisters
Golden Harvest
Unsurpassable

Many of these I dug up from my grandmother's house. They've been thriving in the south for several generations.

Becky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here