Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Plant Sale, South Carolina Botanical Garden

Posted by jay_7bsc (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 12:19

The South Carolina Botanical Garden's Fall Plant Sale is scheduled for the following dates and times:

Friday, September 30, 2011, 2:30 P. M.-6:00 P. M.
Friends' Day. Membership in the Friends of the Garden can be purchased at the gate: $60.00 (Family); $45.00 (Individual).

Saturday, October 1, 2011, 9:00 A. M.-1:00 P. M.
Public Sale.

The South Carolina Botanical Garden is on the Clemson University campus at the corner of Perimeter Road and U. S. Highway 76 (Clemson Boulevard).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Plant Sale, South Carolina Botanical Garden

Hi Jay, I'm still curious about the Clemson Red Cluster bottlebrush. The cultivar originated from a bottlebrush tree/shrub that survived and stayed green somewhere on the Clemson campus. I'd really appreciate any info you can find out about this plant. Wish I could attend the show up there, but the drive from Sumter is too far. Hope you find lots of cool 'stuff'.

o

Lucinda,
All I know about this plant is that I think it's used in the landscaping at the botanical garden. Check the SCBG's Website for a telephone number. They should be able to tell you about the plant's availability. Have you looked at the Woodlanders Website? They may have it, or possibly Nurseries Caroliniana in North Augusta. With _Making It Grow_ being produced there in Sumter, it may be worthwhile to ask Amanda McNulty and Rowland Alston about the _Callistemon sp._ 'Clemson Hardy.' I did stop by the Clemson Lowe's Garden Center to find out whether they had this plant. Of course, they had never heard of it.

o

Thanks for your advice, Jay. I need to contact Clemson University for a plant ID and recommendations. I've found that most BB's marketed here are only root hardy in zone 8a. Woodlander's Red Callistemon is fully cold hardy here, but it's leaves and flowers aren't very showy. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here