Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsan888

Trying to find pine straw mulch

jsan888
18 years ago

Hi. New to Memphis and trying to find where to buy pine straw mulch. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Check at Home Depot, Lowes or look in the phone book under "Landscape Material suppliers".

• limhyl
    18 years ago

I usually find a spot with lots of pine trees like a public park and rake it up myself. It's fast, cheap and a lot fresher and better looking than what you buy at the box stores. But then, I'm a tight wad. Theresa.

• Kathy Johnson
    18 years ago

Why buy when there should be a ton of people who will let you rake their yards for free? Make sure they know all you want is to collect the pine straw, bring your own rake & trash bags.

• Logfrog
    18 years ago

The difference in that you buy and that you rake up under mature seeds is that the Home Depot stuff is taken up from rows in tree farms. These trees are harvested before they are old enough to have cones, therefore, the pine mulch does not have seeds in it and you don't have the problem of having to pull up zillions of little seedlings from everywhere.
    Frog

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

You can also look in the paper. You might be able to find a local supplier.

FYI, we had been purchasing bales of straw from one local garden center but picked some up while at Lowe's.....it was SO much cheaper. Come to find out, the Lowe's bales were loose, moldy, and we needed three to every one bale from the other supplier to cover the same area.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Frog, we have 9 pines (all at least 50 feet tall) in our backyard. In 24 years I've never once encountered a seedling from a pinecone.

• outsideplaying_gw
    18 years ago

Yes, be careful with what you find at the big box stores (Home Cheapo, etc). Rhizo is right...you may need 3 bales of theirs for every bale you buy from a nursery. I used to buy bales from Lowe's (they usually have it in a big trailer on the back lot), but found it varied from time to time in quality. I never got any moldy stuff but on several occasions I did get some really old bales that were not fresh. Now I have a friend who keeps us supplied. We provide her the bags, she rakes and bags it and my DH cleans her roof and gutters with the power-blower.

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

I rake mine up too as it is lightweight, easy to transport and free!

• mezzodiva_gmail_com
    16 years ago

I'm trying to order some online (pinestrawdirect.com), since they claim they can ship it cheaper than standard mulch from my local store. I'll post back if I like it! I don't have trees or I'd use my own...

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor