Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isabax

Confederate rose

isabax
18 years ago

The appearance of my first lovely white blossom this morning reminded me that I must figure out how to propogate this plant. Although I cut it almost to the ground last fall, it is back to a bushy ten feet and way overwhelming its spot in a border. My efforts to root it last year-- sticking a shoot in root tone and then good soil-- didn't work. Has anyone done this or do I have to figure out the seeds? Thanks for any advice.

Comments (20)

• maxx40
    18 years ago

I received a cutting from a little old lady who told us that she just rooted it in a mason jar during the winter. Sure enough, I set it out that spring and it took off like wild fire. My blooms were pink and absolutely gorgeous. But, for some reason, it did not come back this spring. No explainable reason. The cutting she gave me was a rather large stick (as thick as my thumb) and about 1 1/2 feet long. It already had leaves on it when I got it. Good luck!

• ourhighlandhome
    18 years ago

Yep,

Forget rooting hormones and soil, just place your cuttings in a bucket of water over winter and - presto! - come spring you'll have well-rooted starts.

When rooting things in this fashion, I usually prefer to keep them in a dimly lit room to prevent too much new growth from sprouting during cold weather (but that's just me!).

Nelson

• treelady
    18 years ago

I,too, have rooted cuttings in a big container of water. I also find many small confederate rose plants just popping up in the surrounding mulch(probably from seeds birds have dropped).

• jrgardner
    18 years ago

I also root mine in water, but in late winter/early spring I transplant them into a pot for a little while before planting outside. I put them in rather wet potting soil and don't water again until it is needed. It seems to help make the transition from water only to soil (it's a tip from another GW member) I keep them in a place that gets light but not sun. I also have them pop up from seed under my larger shrub/tree. Mine are double that change from white to pink -- pretty cool and survived Hurricane Ivan.

• sugarhill
    18 years ago

I don't know anything about propagating confederate rose, but I'm pretty sure that cutting it back in the fall is tempting fate. Cut it back in the spring just as you see new growth. Cutting it back in fall leaves it vulnerable to rot from moisture over the winter. Some really wet winter the moisture can seep in through the cuts and kill the roots. That's the advice I got from the UGA extension service.

• isabax
    Original Author
    18 years ago

T,hanks for all the good advice., my friends. I will try this as soon as the blooms quit.

• oldblush
    18 years ago

I've rooted many by sticking an 8-10 inch cutting about 4 inches deep into a pot filled with potting soil and keep it moist. I usually leave them in a window in the laundry room (unheated) and by spring they'll have roots and begin to have new growth. If you choose to use the water method, remember to maintain the water level and change the water frequently.

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

oh, how i wish i'd known to take cuttings of
    the confederate rose. it failed to come back
    last spring. i knew this plant's spring return
    would be iffy in my location. i may give this
    one a second chance given y'alls great info :)
    thanks.
    marsha

• Logfrog
    18 years ago

I have a feeling that it may be too cold for it at times in zone 7. It's the length of time that it stays below freezing that makes the difference. I was given twelve, 12inch cuttings made right after all the leaves fell off. I stuck them in the ground under a drippy faucet in a sheltered location. Ten of them were well rooted and beginning to leaf out by the spring. I just kept two and they both bloomed that fall. I think that's the way to do it where it freezes. New cuttings every year.
    Frog

• Annie
    18 years ago

I live in zone 6 and they grow splendidly here. In fact, they are among the most loved shrubs in Okie, because they are so drought tollerant and bloom in late summer when other flowers are fading out. They grow into trees here and grow from seeds that drop. Can grow to ten feet in a year.
    Thanks for the advice on rooting them in a bucket of water. I just found a Bluebird R.o.S. and am going to go get cuttings tomorrow. Glad I found this post.

Anyone have the new Freedom R.o.S.? It is a true red. Gorgeous. If so, I would love some cuttings or seeds.
    See my Seed Exchange List.
    Would be kinda fun to have red, white and blue, wouldn't it?

~ Annie
    Psssst! Hi Marsha!

• Annie
    18 years ago

Oops!
    You guys were talking about a Rose Mallow (Hibiscus).
    My goof.

Now I will crawl back into a hole and try to be very small and very still...

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

pssst hi annie!
    i did a little red, white & blue nook this summer.
    tall red cannas & white phlox david - in front
    of a deep blue clematis growing on a taller wire fence.
    looks kinda cool.

annie, there's a recent carolinas forum discussion about confederate rose - it seems many plants are called confederate rose - hibiscus mutabilis is the one i had. i've not yet grown RoS, but i have three "blue satins" coming in the spring, and i got a pink one at the recent raleigh swap. i can't say or read the words "rose of sharon" without recalling "the grapes of wrath"

marsha

p.s. i vote for a raleigh transfer!

• isabax
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have rose of sharon also and its different from confederate rose but think they are both hibiscus. Althea? Hibisci? Wasn't that Grapes of Wrath chick like Rosasharn or something even more contracted? I think about her when I talk about this plant too. There is a biblical derivation of this moniker--who recalls it?

• nanahanna
    18 years ago

Song of Solomon 2:1...I am the rose of Sharon.

The Plain of Sharon is a plain in Israel, where this asian small shrubby tree (Hibiscus syriacus)grows having showy bell-shaped rose, purple, or white flowers. A plain is a broad unbroken spanse.

Hmmmm...learned something new! And..my name is Sharon...but not pronounced like it is in Israel.

Nanahanna

• don3135
    14 years ago

i guess it's a variety of hibiscus.if anyone's interested
    i have two other varieties, african rose and autum rose.
    the african rose has red leaves,like a red maple, the blooms are pink to maroom in the center. the leaves are used in salads, the flowers are used in "red zinger tea".
    the autum rose blooms are deep velvety maroon, tha leaves are mostly green,the stalks have sharp barbs on them.
    both blooms are about 4 to 5+ inches across, where there is a leaf there will be a bloom, they will grow to over 10 ft. they can be trimmed to 4' hi,or any hight desired.
    i get frost here over the winter, they will die back, then grow from the root in the spring. every bloom will produce a seed pod, which contain 10 to 15 seeds, one season's growth will produce dozens of blooms. i also grow orchid trees, am in the process of sendind some to s.c. to see if they thrive there.

• Patsey Nelson
    12 years ago

Don, I would love to have some seeds or a cutting from the two you have. I have some Brugs I could trade or could send you cuttings later this fall.
    Sorry I butted in. I have one confederate rose that PA sent me a cutting of and it is about six feet tall now. I sure hope it blooms.
    Thanks,
    Patsey
    wpnelson2@aol.com

• whitehorse
    12 years ago

Wow can anyone send me Confederate rose seeds Please?

Thanks Gina

• whitehorse
    12 years ago

Looking for free seeds will pay postage, really wanting confederate roses.
    Thanks,Gina

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

Gina, if 'confederate rose' is actually Rose of Sharon I have gobs of seeds and seedlings but you'll need to post your address on your MyPage so I know where to send the seeds.
    Just know that they need to be protected from deer foraging. Rabbits don't seem to bother them but the young deer will nip the tops off so they stay perpectually at a low height unless you have hundreds where some can grow unmolested.

• robin_curreyhall
    8 years ago

Will be glad to pay for the confederate rose of Sharon seeds. If any one has them or seedlings, let me know how I could make this purchase. I have tried to root and looked for seeds,but no luck!

Sponsored