Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pests on Thuja Green giant (pics). HELP!

Posted by atlfuzzy1 Georgia (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 16:34

Hello all,
I have used your posts on this forum for quite a while, and appreciate this resource. I have searched forum entries for my problem, and have found nothing that matched up. I hope to get some help here.

I planted about 20 thuja green giants (with inground watering, etc etc) last year. They look like they are flourishing to me; have grown from 1 foot to 4 feet so far.

There are some spiders on the plants; a big black and yellow /gold one that I am told is a good friend to have. There is a brown egg sac near the web; it might be on same tree or neighboring tree, I don't remember (at work now). So attached is photo of that spider, the brown bulb looking egg sac, and another web with eggs on another tree.

BUT my biggest concern is various branches over the past month I have noticed little small greyish/black ground pepper sized "eggs" stuck on to the tips of the branches. I can't figure what it is. Eggs? I want to prevent any problems, as I have invested close to $1000 on these trees, watering, landscape and the bank is busted. If they die that is it.

As I said they look wonderful, but I am baffled by these "dot" looking things. I have removed a few branches with these on it last month, but found another branch with them yesterday.

Please find attached pic of big spider, brown sac, another web with eggs (?) in it, and a tip of branch with the peppery things on it. That pic is magnified for clarity, they are probably half that size.

Thank you for any input and suggestion and direction.

With thanks
Clint/Atlanta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pests on Thuja Green giant (pics). HELP!

This is the branch with the "peppering" of eggs. Have found this on several. Have NO clue what this is.

o

big mamma (spider)

o

brown "egg sac" ???

o

various other webs and eggs elsewhere on trees.

o

Are you quite certain that the dark things aren't aphids? The image is too blurry for me to tell for sure. Double check and give a more detailed description.

Yes, the spiders are on our side. The one you've pictured is one of the Argiopes, an important group of web builders. That's certainly an egg sac, which are often created towards the end of the spider 's reign over her territory. That last image shows the spider's housekeeping talents. The little bundles are the husks of her victims, wrapped in a neat package. These spiders will collect their refuse in one location on the web, then the spider will simply sever that line to get rid of the mess.

o

Well, they may be aphids. I am clueless to these things. A dear friend speculated aphids as well, was just wanting confirmation. I have no clue what it is or what to do about it?

The pic is about double size; they are small, black/grey-ish, and I have no clue where to start. They might be eggs or living things, I didn't notice any movement but they appeared intact, so I assumed eggs?

Ideas??

o

Put that eggs photo on the garden pest forum after you go clip it off and stick it in a closed jar and take it to your better garden center for ID.
Garden spiders are beautiful helpers but they don't go after insect eggs.
With thugas you must be vigilant to keep the bagworms away.
Their bags are attached with very strong multiple silk thread so just pulling the bags off won't stop later damage. A systemic drench helps.

o

Well, I'll be darned! I have spent years trying to find out what kind of "eggs" those are...and its just spider garbage! Ha ha ha! Very relieved it is not a bad bug egg. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here