Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Anyone grow Flower Carpet Roses?

Donna
12 years ago

We are looking at these for a prominent place around our church. Would love to hear how they perform in our hot humid climate. Thanks!

Bloom pretty well continually?

Disease resistant?

Other than fertilizer and an annual pruning, do they need any other maintainance?

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Well, according to a friend of mine in Florida, they are becoming quite popular down there! I think that they are very adaptable, Donna.

They've been around long enough to prove their reported disease resistance, so I wouldn't worry about that. The ones I've seen here bloom early and don't stop until the deepest frosts move into the area. Japanese beetles love them, though, if those little pests are a problem in your location. They are also NOT immune to the Achilles' Heel of the Knock Out roses...rosette disease. What a disappointment those (KOs) have been.

Be careful about placing them too closely, which you may be tempted to do when initially planting them. They really grow fast, from what I can see.

My husband wants to put some in at our house, but I am still gun shy after having to pull out so many Knock Outs a couple of years ago. What color(s) do you think you'll put at the church?

• Donna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I am so glad to hear that, rhizo! I think we are going to use the Amber ones, which are newer and supposed to have even more disease resistance, etc. There will be a fountain installed at the front entryway with a circular bed around it. I am thinking the Amber roses there edged with liriope or edging box, and underplanted with spring flowering bulbs. Got any thoughts?

We do not have Japanese beetles here, at least not yet. The last two springs, I have seen two (total) that looked suspiciously like them, but that's all. My family in Tennessee is plagued with them, so I sincerely hope they stay north of us.

I have not heard of Rosette disease. Can you describe it? I have three Double KNockouts plus 4 Carefree Sunshine here at the house. The DKs have not performed this year like previous years, but I thought I might have pruned them too hard.

Thanks so much for your response!

12 years ago

I like the amber color, but can't comment on how great it might look around the fountain without knowing what color the hardscape is. I'm weird that way, lol. I'd want that color to POP!

It's kind of difficult to describe rose rosette! The new growth, often on just one branch at first, will be extremely malformed as it grows. Do you know what a 'witches' broom' looks like, in terms of plant deformities? The growth (stems, leaves, buds) will be all bunched together in a tangled mess. This growth is often a reddish color, too. Usually, the affected branch will be twice as tall as the surrounding branches. Sometimes, aggressive growth may be a first sign, along with wicked thorns. This is on our beloved KnockOuts!

It may begin with one branch, then spread to another, then to another plant until you're ripping them all out and tossing them to the curb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Wow that's awful! It sounds like a relatively new disease, or is it just an old disease attacking the KO roses? I was buying a couple of KO's per year lately but I think I'll put the brakes on that for a bit. Glad I know to keep an eye out for this disease.

donna, have you thought about old-fashioned fairy roses? They might not be as tall as you need, but they do well at my Mom's house a few miles away with no care or extra water besides spring pruning.

12 years ago

Hey, I found a terrific fact sheet about rosette disease from Va. Tech.! I didn't do a bad job of describing it, after all...lol.

I went looking because I had no idea how long this disease had been around. I knew that it wasn't new and turns out it was first described in the 40s, on multiflora roses.

What is so upsetting is that KOs had proved to be so disease resistant since their introduction. And what do we measly humans do when the horticulture industry touts something so fabulous as a constantly blooming, low growing, very disease resistant rose? Why, we plant it everywhere, that's what we do. We never seem to learn from our mistakes of the past that monoculture can cause problems. Thus, rosette has exploded in recent years because there are so many more roses being planted everywhere.

Rose rosette is caused by an unknown virus-like pathogen and is spread (like many viruses) by a vector. In this case, the ubiquitous and microscopic eriophyid mite is the trouble maker. These mites feed on an infected rose and then unwittingly transfer the disease when they move from plant to plant. These aren't spider mites, but another whole category.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's some great information

• Donna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is great information, rhizo. I do not believe I have seen it in this area...yet. But I am glad to know, so I can be watchful.

The church is built of a deep red/orange brick with dark purple undertones. So, although The Fairy is a great rose, I am looking for a rose with a warmer color. I believe the Amber Flower Carpets will be gorgeous with it. I am including a link. What do you think?

I know what you mean about coordinating plants with the hardscaping, rhizo. I feel the same way. I am hoping to find a fountain that has a terracotta color....have no idea if such a thing exists, though. There's no hurry on the fountain, but I hope to get at least the entryway landscaping installed before Thanksgiving. We will likely be moving in during the holidays.

My husband has pastored this church for 22 years. We moved out to our present site twelve years ago into a multi-purpose building that has a gym which has doubled as our sanctuary. This new building is the permanent sanctuary and more classrooms, a small chapel, and a room that will be suitable for rehearsal dinners and such. The first building was functional. This building is beautiful. Everyone is so excited!

Here is a link that might be useful: Amber Flower Carpet Rose

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

I don't know how fragrant the Amber Carpet rose is but if fragrance is important to the display I would interplant Amber with the White. The White Carpet rose has a simply delicious,sweet aroma.

12 years ago

Donna, I was HOPING that the brick was a dark color. The Amber will look perfect. I'm so happy for you, your husband and the church family.

dottie, that's good to know about the White Carpet. I wonder about the other colors. Too bad that flowers don't smell like they look...Amber would have an aroma of butterscotch candy!

• Donna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am glad to know about the white one too. I have Little White PEt in my white border, but the dead, brown flowers hang on forever unless I deadhead. Have been thinking about replacing them, and fragrance would be extra nice!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County