Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaucage1

What is it?

Beaucage1
19 years ago

{{gwi:1264923}}

I heard it was a devil's trumpet, not sure, but it grows like crazy and has been blooming for 4 months, as much as 15 blooms at once. I have a solid white one also.

Now do not tell me this is an angel trumpet, I have those, the blooms are 30% longer on angel's trumpets, and the leaves are different.

Comments (6)

• ourhighlandhome
    19 years ago

You have a Datura, maybe 'Cornucopia', which has double purple & white blooms.

Nelson

• oldblush
    19 years ago

Never head them called devil's trumpet. I have grown this datura for several years and unlike angel's trumpets it sets seed pods. I usually germinate some seeds in early spring and plant seedlings in the garden later. They seem to sulk in the smmer but really leap in the fall. Really great fragrance at night and early morning. Note, their natural polinater is the tomato horn worm moth so be ready for tomato horn worms.

• mlwgardener
    19 years ago

The term "Devil's Trumpet" helps to distinguish it from Brugmansia. The blooms on both plants look like Trumpets so many people got them confused, so someone came up with the following:

The blooms on the Datura raise up from the ground and point to the sky, thus the name "Devil's Trumpet".

The blooms on the Brugmansia hang down from the sky and point to the ground, thus the name "Angel's Trumpet"

I've been growing Brugmansia for about 4 years now and thank goodness, I've never had the tomato horn worm attack them. I do have trouble with something eating the leaves and I blame the grass hoppers here in NE MS for the damage.

I've not had real good luck with my Datura plants. I may be starting them too early from seed in my unheated green house. I started them in March and it's still very cold here in March. They germinate and grow to about 12" by time warm weather arrives and then they never grow another inch! I had one out of 12 that did grow big enough to have 3 blooms this summer. When do you start your seeds?

Thanks for any info you can give to me on growing Daturas, Mona

• bruggirl
    19 years ago

Mona, daturas, unlike brugs, like to be kept on the dry side. The only time I ever lost them was during flooding rains one summer.

They also don't like as much fertilizer. Remember, jimsonweed is a datura, and it just grows wild and does fine. They're much tougher than brugs.

• Josh
    19 years ago

Mona, I don't grow either plant, but just wanted to thank you for your explanation of the common names. I find the stories behind the names given to plants so interesting. josh

• Beaucage1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for the info, I also have a solid white one, with the same stalks and leaves, both make seed pods.

The purple one has grown about 7 feet this summer, and produced over 40 blooms, I have seeds out the yanh-yanh.

i did some research on these plants to find they are extremely poisonous, leaves,stalk, seeds and flowers, but I will keep them, I have 4 oleander bushes also which are poisonous.

I was born in Mississippi, near Columbia, and my mom and sister and brother still live there, mom turned 93 2 weeks ago, and still gardens, veggies and flowers.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living