Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sar of Bethlehem plant

Posted by justmejackie z8TX (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 05 at 18:09

Has anyone ever heard of this plant...a friend gave it to me and it is a succulent with a really strange flower. The flowers smell very bad and attract flies. It is quite the conversation piece but I am wondering if that is really the name of it? The Star Of Bethlehem? The flower is a large star about 4 inches and is lights colored with red veins. Just curious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sar of Bethlehem plant

• Posted by Josh z8a AL (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 10, 05 at 0:41

Sounds like a Stapelia. As a new gardener I gladly accepted one as a "gift"... and promptly passed it on to another friend when it bloomed. That poor plant is probably still being passed on to innocent souls today! The bloom is strangely beautiful though.josh

o

I grow Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum umbellatum) -of the lily family.
It is an early summer or late spring flowering bulb. Grows a clump of thin waxy dark green leaves w/ a thin pale green midrib.
It then puts on flowers, after which it dies back. Bulbs reproduce very fast. The flowers are 6 petaled white stars with green stripe on the back side of each petal. Really showy. Very pretty. All parts are said to be toxic, but not known to cause death.

Here is a link that might be useful: Image of Star of Bethlehem

o

From your description, Josh is right. The common name I know is carrion flower. Like SweetAnnie4u, I know the Orinthogalums as Star of Bethlehem.

o

thanks you all...I know mine is the carrion. An interesting and unusual but stinky plant from south Africa. Thanks for helping me figure it out.

o

I read somewhere there are over a thousand plants known as Star of Bethlehem somewhere (common names tend to be regional.) Yours sounds like Stapelia gigantea; mine is about to bloom. There are a number of stapeliads, all weird and fascinating--and I assume stinky!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here