Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unwanted Neighbors - - Walking Sticks!

Posted by tiogaqueen Louisiana (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 07 at 19:02

I have a ton of these insects in my garden. How do I get rid of them? I am scared to death of them! I've read where Spinosad will work, but I don't know where to buy it. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unwanted Neighbors - - Walking Sticks!

Why are you afraid of them? They are not harmful.

o

Don't kill them they eat the bad insects. Catch all you can and bring them to my house.

o

Here's a little something I found you may find interesting. I love Walking Sticks...they are actually very interesting insects.

Peace
D

Walking Sticks

"The walking stick is a common but often overlooked insect in the world of entomology because it is not a problem as a pest either to farmers or to ordinary people. These peaceful insects are strictly vegetarians feeding on berry, cherry and a variety of other leaves. There are over 3000 varieties of walking sticks identified world wide! Walking sticks are found primarily in the temperate and tropical regions. These creatures spend their days motionless hanging from leaves and branches waiting until dark to feed. This particular insect gets its name from its appearance, looking much like a twig or in some cases the leaves upon which it feeds."

Here is a link that might be useful: Walking Stick

o

Alert small boys in your neighborhood that they may come and collect all they want. Lots of little boys think bugs are way cool, LOL.

o

tiogaqueen, are you sure that you have walking sticks and not praying mantids?

o

• Posted by josh z8a (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 24, 07 at 12:38

Alaynacole, thanks for that site..marvelous. josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here