Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Atlas Cedar dying

Posted by drail14me MS zone 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 22:07

I planted three Blue Atlas Cedar back in the late Spring. They are planted along a North/South wall on the West side of my home. They get part sun.

After planting and through the summer, they seemed to do REALLY well. All three had new growth and produced cones. Over the last month, they've begun to drop their needles. The Southern most plant has dropped about 25% of it's needles, the middle plant about 50% and the Northern most plant, about 90%.

They are planted in a somewhat raised bed so I don't think drainage is an issue but maybe. I'm wondering thought if they aren't getting enough sun. With the shorter days, would that be what might be killing them?

Should I move the worst to an area with full morning sun to see if it will come back or would that be too much of a shock?

Please help. I want to save these guys but my brown thumb seems to always kick in.

Thanks,

Dennis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Atlas Cedar dying

This tree does NOT like transplanting at all. It also requires good soil drainage. Plenty of sunlight is a must but they can survive in less than full sun conditions. Also, the less sunlight a site receives, the colder and wetter the soil might be.

You need to do better than 'guess' at the drainage situation.

o

Yes. I have one and it is not shedding at all. It gets full sun (or very nearly so) and is not only in a well drained raised bed, but is on a slope too. My bet is the same as rhizo's: either not enough sun or poor drainage. Since it seems certain you're going to lose them where they are, I would personally attempt to transplant them. Since you just set them out in the spring, the roots shouldn't have penetrated into the native soil too much. Give the root ball two or three inches all around the original as you dig, just to be sure.

Another thought: Is it possible you planted them too deeply? Be sure to scrape back any soil that was placed over the top of the root ball. I'd pull excess mulch back a bit too. Can't hurt.

And one more thought: Since the plants are next to a wall, is it possible they are up under the eaves of the building and are not getting enough rain?

o

I agree about donnabasket's point about these trees being planted too deeply!!! Have a look, especially if you have a clay-based soil; you may even need to elevate them slightly above grade on the berm.

Did you buy these trees in containers or B&B?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here