Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joemoedee

Help with Hillsides (Red clay nightmares)

joemoedee
15 years ago

Hi folks,

I'm slowly working to improve my yard... (Typical newer subdivision, sodded front, nothing done to the back, ie grass)

I've added some trees, flowers, shrubs on the level parts... however my issue is my hillsides. They're quite steep, and pure red clay. I planted some junipers on the front hill, which seems to only slow the mud coming off the hill.

My backyard is more steep, and used by my dogs.

So, I need some ideas...

I thought of trying lasagna gardening on my front hill, and then planting a mixture of ground cover and other plants in the spring. Here is what the front side hill looks like:

http://picasaweb.google.com/joe.formanek/Backyard#5194789055115555906

The back, I need something to control erosion, but able to withstand some possible dog traffic. One really can't mow it due to how steep it is, so grass is out.

Here is the back: http://picasaweb.google.com/joe.formanek/Backyard#5194789153899803794 and http://picasaweb.google.com/joe.formanek/Backyard#5194789128130000002

I'm originally from South Jersey, home to flatland and sandy loam. So any help for this transplant is appreciated!

Comments (4)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

That's pretty steep in the front! I'd plant some real trees and shrubs on there and mulch it with a coarse, shredded hardwood mulch (often available by the truckload at landscape supply places - one near me is called "MulchMan"). The coarse shredded mulch knits together to reduce the chance of it being washed away.

Fall is an excellent time to plant trees and shrubs. I'd encourage you to research some fast growing native ones: Shumard oak, tulip poplar, red maple are some such trees. I think a mixed approach would be attractive and natural looking ... the way it should've looked if the builder had left some trees!

For shrubs, consider shrubs that like to spread, creating colonies of themselves. Again, native choices include: 'Grow Low' aromatic sumac, Virginia sweetspire, Clethra 'Hummingbird', Chokeberry (Aronia arbutifolia), Viburnum nudum or Viburnum acerifolium. Consider doing a group of something at the top of the hill, trees in the middle, a group of shrubs at the bottom.

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

I have no knowledge of how to do this, personally, but I think the best way to handle a steep slope is to terrace it. I guess a landscape architect would be needed to help with that. It might be a bigger initial expense, but if you think you will stay in that house, it might be worth it to have a more manageable, usable, landscape,and actually more workable space. A waterfall would be great too on any of those slopes. Again, it would have to be carefully constructed. You can have a small patio or seating area on one of the terraced levels, depending on how you did it.
    Good luck.

• catbird
    15 years ago

Have you considered using ornamental grass? They put down deep roots which will help with the erosion problem and they don't need watering once established. There are so many varieties and sizes available, you could do some really attractive landscaping with it. Even putting a row or two across the top of a hill will help slow the runoff and hold the soil.

Whatever you do, don't use english ivy. It's not quite as bad as kudzu, but, at least in the deep south, it can eat a neighborhood.

• jbcarr
    15 years ago

I had an area exactly like your back yard. I am in a rural mountainous area. I read up on controlling erosion. Some ideas are expensive (very attractive) things like terracing, retaining walls to reduce the slope, etc. Another approach was to grow something from seed that will quickly root in order to prevent erosion. I decided to go with a quick growing cover- annual ryegrass, and crimson clover. That provided a "nurse crop" for the next phase, which is native plants/grasses from seed to make a meadow. Also, I am always on the lookout for small native plants on sale somewhere. I found 10 switch grass at the Kroger for $1 apiece. Same price for a bunch of Agastache (not really native, but low maintenance) from Lowes. There are also places that will sell large amounts of plants if you want more immediate and reliable results. A meadow from seed is a multi-year project.
    Go to Ernst Seeds, and they have lots of ideas for erosion control. My concept was to go with natives so I would not have to amend the soil, and it should not need to be watered once established. You can mow it with a weedwacker to contol weeds until the natives have time to take over. I don't have many flowers yet, but a bunch of native grasses grew, and the erosion is no more. You will need to keep the dogs off until it gets established.
    A problem with my idea is it would be tough to pull off in the front yard without looking "messy". The junipers should work fine, but will take a while to fill in. I also agree with the comments about ornamental grasses- excellent slope stabilizers. Switch grass is rated as one of the best.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz