Can anyone ID these?

Posted by tim4444 SC (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 20, 08 at 23:11

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone ID these?

The second one looks like it could be japanese ligustrum. Can you give more details on the size, shape, location of these? Have you ever seen flowers on the first one?

Are these from the same plant?

o

Thanks esh!

I believe you are exactly right on the second one being a japanese ligustrum. The pictures I see on the web match it exactly especially with the drupes. I have been trying to find out what it was for years as we have several in our front yard.

The other one that has the slightly red leaves with the new growth is another shrub that is growing nearby. I have not witnessed any drupes, berries, or seeds on any that we have although I believe that there were some present on a much larger one that we had that had to be taken down due to size (30-40 ft tall) and location. Mostly what we have now are the "saplings" from it that I am interested in making a formal hedge with. They are about 3 feet tall now and have grown that much just over the last 4 months. The clipping in the picture is from one that is more established and currently is a shrub with a 6 foot spread and 6 foot tall and growing. I will include a picture of it as well if that will help.

Thanks so much!!!

o

Yeah, maybe it would help to see the other picture. Perhaps something in the habit of the plant will help.

o

I have some of the first picture in my yard. At first I thought maybe it's a dogwood since there is a large dogwood about 20 feet from where I saw the first sprouting. I just grows entirely too fast for that! I cut it back 2 months ago and it's right back as tall again! I pulled up some of the roots and seems to be growing off of a large root system similar to that of wisteria. It's becoming something of a pest like wisteria, but I'd also like to know what it is so if it's a good plant I can relocate it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here